servicing cameras

SUSU4ECUSUSU4ECU Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 6, 2011 in Cameras
My camera is almost 5 years old. Do you ever take your cameras in for servicing and cleaning? Seems like pictures in old album are better or maybe it is me being more critical of my work now since I have started shooting for others !

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    SUSU4ECU wrote: »
    My camera is almost 5 years old. Do you ever take your cameras in for servicing and cleaning? Seems like pictures in old album are better or maybe it is me being more critical of my work now since I have started shooting for others !

Obviously sensors can get dirty over time and are perhaps better professionally cleaned. Lens calibration can drift.

What body and lenses you have, and how much you work them, and in what situations, will determine the need for servicing. Pros have their gear in for servicing frequently.

I'm doubtful that with a well kept 5yo camera of sufficient quality used at a high amateur level of work there will be any negative impact on images.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • SUSU4ECUSUSU4ECU Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Obviously sensors can get dirty over time and are perhaps better professionally cleaned. Lens calibration can drift.

What body and lenses you have, and how much you work them, and in what situations, will determine the need for servicing. Pros have their gear in for servicing frequently.

I'm doubtful that with a well kept 5yo camera of sufficient quality used at a high amateur level of work there will be any negative impact on images.

Neil

That is what I was kinda thinking too. Also, I am planning on upgrading as soon as I can save up the $$$$ and use this one as a backup. I went back and I really think the pictures are okay as I did a photo shoot a few weeks ago and they were good. Thanks for your reply as I just did not know if you should have them professionally cleaned, etc. I keep my covered and and clean all the time. I am rather careful with it. Again, I apprecaite your reply and time! :) Susan
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    It is always easier to give advice when one knows what camera someone is using.....example....if you are talking about the low end entry level cameras as opposed to mid range ProSumer camera it might not be worth sending in to be serviced.....but without us knowing it is really hard to give solid advice......

As to servicing your camera.....if you are selling it, I would not bother...if it is to become a back up I would have it serviced.........Cleaned, Lubed and Adjusted (CLA as it is called)...one should care for the back up same as if it were your main camera, cause you are depending on it to be there if the main camera goes belly up...... I keep film cameras around as my back up to my back up just for that reason ... .... I know people who never have serviced a camera or lens...however it seems they have gone on vaca's and the ca,era wiln ot work or the shutter sounds real slow....they have not used the camera since the last vaca a year ago and it sat for a year....lubes dry up and deteriorate with age..... Mine go in about every 5 yrs for CLA and always have.....you would not drive your car without having it serviced once or twice a year would you..........

As to cleaning the sensor...you are not cleaning the sensor but a filter over the sensor abd using a good wet method to me is better than any dry method...i have used Zeiss wet lens cleaners to clean my sensor filters in the past and for the cost of one cleaning in a camera store you can buy almost a years worth of supplies from Copper Hill...it only takes about 10 - 30 minutes to clean unless it is super dirty...easy to tell point a rally pure blue sky and shoot at iso 200 (whatever is lowest on your cam....at f22...do the same at a white all inside.....the dark junk is dirt....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website