Options

Opera show (pathetic)

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited October 7, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Once in a while, some heartland communities will engage an opera troupe (which is becoming a dying trade) for some entertainment to the old folks especially during festive season. This are normally low budget and it hasn't caught on with the newer generation. It scarcely attracted many but children remain amused.

The less then enthusiasm audience were standing/sitting many feet away and I positioned myself to the furthest front row to give an illusion of a sparse attendance and trying to achieve shots as candid as possible.

#1 just to give you an idea of the crowd. Would like comments on #2 and #3, whatever it takes to critique. I'd usually title my shots and I'm putting candid caption to it. If you have more laughable one, pse do contribute. Many thanks.

i-5KsMzW3.jpg

2. Can't think of a good caption (maybe pic alone good enough ??)
i-grDJqW7.jpg

3. Trying to woo her
i-NqV746q.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    I don't really get pathetic from this. Seems like a nice crowd in #1.

I do really like #2 with the motion blur and the children completely still, I even like the little girl completely centered. No title needed.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    #2 is definitely my favorite. Nice composition, and the contrast between motion and still works quite well.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Like Liz, I don't get pathetic at all... I rather like the bright colors of varying degree, and as always, seeing other parts of the world I may never have the opportunity to see myself. I think of the three, #3 tugs at me the most with the simplicity of a single actor, a single viewer as if the show is all her own, and all under the watchful eye of the production manager to our right.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    Thanks guys for all your thoughtful comments. Glad the image works.

OK, pathetic maybe wrongly phased. Perhaps "more than a handful audience" may do better justice. It so happened in close proximity to this opera stage, there was a pop song singing contest that may have further boost the attendance. Haha, talked about community coordination. You may notice the far end crowds were looking at the other direction (though its tiny for you to notice anything).
  • Options
    evanlavineevanlavine Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    these are great shots! I love the processing in them!
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    david-low wrote: »
    2. Can't think of a good caption (maybe pic alone good enough ??)
    i-grDJqW7.jpg

Theres a quote by a famous photographer that I cant remember for the life of me that went something like "I dont name my photos because I want the viewer to come to his/her own conclusion as to what the story behind the photograph tells"

Sometimes its good to leave it un-named :)
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    #2 is outstanding -- even moreso with the girls wearing the "dancing girl" tshirt. And their costumes blur beautifully.

I can understand it being a dying trade. Some of my worst childhood memories were being dragged to the Chinese Opera by my father. Decades later, I told him that child abuse laws were enacted to prevent such occurrences... :cry
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2011
    Thank Killer, Rainbow

Just as I thought the #2 is presentable enough to go without any caption.
    rainbow wrote: »
    #2 is outstanding -- even moreso with the girls wearing the "dancing girl" tshirt. And their costumes blur beautifully.

I can understand it being a dying trade. Some of my worst childhood memories were being dragged to the Chinese Opera by my father. Decades later, I told him that child abuse laws were enacted to prevent such occurrences... :cry

If ever you become a great stage artist in adulthood, your parents were the thankful one for instilling motivation, albeit unintentional. Laughing.gif.