Options

Cs5 crop tool problem

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited October 6, 2011 in Technique
Hi Everyone.
I dont know if i should be writing this email at all but i have come across a problem with the crop tool in cs5.
If i open an image to crop to 10 inches square there is no limit to how big you can make the crop. I thought if i had put in the dimentions i wanted in the top menue for the crop tool this would not happen. Here ia an idea of dimentions. After loading the image i head on over to image size. 20.4 inches wide and 13.653 high @ 300ppi
Now i open the crop tool and input 10 inches by 10 inches as a guide line for my crop. Leaving the pixels per inch box empty.Next i drag the mouse from top right to bottom right and create my crop. Even though my original image size is 13 inches high, the 10 by 10 crop can go over that limit.
I guess my question really is, should the crop tool not stop you dragging any bigger than the dimentions you inserted at the beginning.

Kind regards
Patrick.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    the 10 x 10 are not measurement in size
    its only the aspect-ratio [ square in this case , 2x2 , 4x4 all the same ]

sizing is done in > image > image size

you can crop to image-size , but then you must fill in the PPI
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Patrick,

OK, lets think this through.........When you set your dimensions to 10X10 and drag your crop tool over the image you have a choice of what image content you want in that 10X10 space.

You could for example have a very small potion of the image, or a large portion.

Try this...open any image you want set the dimensions of the crop tool to 10X10, leave the ppi box blank, now drag the crop tool over the image to get the composition the way you want. Go ahead and crop, now go to image size and you will see the image size is indeed 10X10. The ppi will change, but the size will be 10X10.

Sam
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    the 10 x 10 are not measurement in size
    its only the aspect-ratio [ square in this case , 2x2 , 4x4 all the same ]

you can crop to image-size , but then you must fill in the PPI

Negative

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    positive

relation measurement versus size is not gone , it can be changed afterwards
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Thankyou for your responces. i done what you asked and it worked. I thought if i set 10 by 10 inch and dragged the tool from the upper left corner of the pictiure to it the bottom right that the software would only let me get so far and limit the size i an cut. If my original image is 13 inches high and all i want to cut is 10 inches high wont i be gaining ppi rather that just cut out the 10 inch high. If you can get your heads around that one you will need a nobel peace prise.
    I used to use Picasa editor and it never let me cut more than i limited my size to, so you can understand why i am confused. So before i go if the original image was 300ppi i would expect that to drop aswell.
    Kind regards
    Patrick.:D
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    your software dont know how big your final image will be
    you determine that yourself
    size in inch [ dimension ] is not the same as in pixels per inch [ resolution ]

hope it is clear now
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    your software dont know how big your final image will be
    you determine that yourself
    size in inch [ dimension ] is not the same as in pixels per inch [ resolution ]

hope it is clear now

Ended up with an image that is 3000 pixels by 3000 pixels after i cut the original.
    I just wish that this system could be a bit mor simplified regarding these issues.
    Thankyou.
    Pat.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    thats right
    sometimes PS is more of a puzzle then an image-editor
    but , ATM its one of the better ones

me , for processing my photos , i stay in LR as much as possible , and use PS only for editing w tricks and artificial stuff