Finally time to upgrade my aging XTi...

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited October 8, 2011 in Cameras
After over 30k frames on my Rebel XTi, I'm starting to lust after a new camera. I really don't *need* a new camera, as mine still serves me well, but the bug is starting to bite.

Uses: Everything. Useless, right?

Main use: Right now, product photography for my site, www.swearingen-turnings.com
I'd love to shoot as a hobby again, but for a long time to come, I just don't have the time with work, family, and my side business. When I can, I do use it for action photography of my two little girls and our dogs.

I have a 50mm and the basic two lenses, 18-55, and 50-200 (or whatever, close to that range). Also the 430EX flash and a remote trigger when on the tripod.

I'm perfectly happy with the Rebel camera line, and am interested in the XSi. I really don't give a hoot about "real view" or video, though.

I shoot almost exclusively in RAW.

The XSi, new, is *right* at the edge of my budget for shopping. It'll be a few months, I'm sure, as I need to sell a few more things to justify the cost. The 40D used is within range, and I have no problem with buying good, used items.

Can you guys help me out? I'm searching and reading about it, but not finding responses that are directed at my questions. Price is the main consideration, capability is not. For my uses, there really aren't any "bad" DSLR cameras, but there are plenty that are way more capable than I need. Also, only considering the Canon line, as though I don't have much invested in lenses yet, I like their line and I do have their lenses on hand.

Does this make any sense at all?

:rofl
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 6, 2011
    The Canon XSi doesn't really gain you much from the XTi. (It's not much of an upgrade.)

The Canon T2i is a much better upgrade path and you can ignore the Live View and video if you wish. Compared to the XTi, the T2i has:

Improved AF (similar to the older 20D/30D).
    Improved S/N ratio, especially important at high ISOs.
    Greatly improved high ISOs. (ISO 3200 is very usable.)
    Very nice LCD display.

If you can still find a new XSi, I don't think that there would be much of a price differential bumping up to a T2i, especially if you can find a factory refurbished T2i through the Canon outlet store. I have no qualms recommend a factory refurbished body, and you can purchase a third-party warranty, if you wish to amortize the risk.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    It sounds like you really don't need a new camera. How about spending that cash on a nice lens?
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    I was going to ask the same question that thatcanonguy asked. Your zooms are budget lenses, good deals for the price but still budget lenses. You would probably get more bang for your buck by considering an upgrade to your glass. E.g., given that you are doing product photography with small things, a short macro (in the 60mm range) might open doors for you. Just a thought. Some of the best macro photography I have seen was done with old Rebels and good lenses.
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    ...and this is why I've come here!

Thanks, guys, I didn't even think about just putting money into better lenses.

It's been so long since I've even thought about a new body that I didn't know the XSi was already "old". Shows how out of the loop I am and how lucky I am that I came here first!

I've never looked at lenses and wouldn't even know where to start. Can you guys give a little guidance?
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • woodsphotowoodsphoto Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    If the majority of your shooting is product photography as displayed on your website, take paddlers advice and get a macro lens. Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 runs around $450 new. Sigma and Tamron offer good macro lens for less money. Jump on Amazon, Adorama, or B&H.com and search macros. Look at customer reviews and sample photos.
    edited October 7, 2011
    What's the difference between a fixed-length, like 60mm and a lens with a range like 70-300mm? Am I to assume that the 60mm is better for a specific job?

Here are some lenses that I've found; are they what you're talking about? Will any of these work "better" than another?

Tamron SP 60mm f/2
    http://www.adorama.com/TM602EOS.html

Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG
    http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Macro-Canon-Cameras/dp/B0002P19PS/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1317994643&sr=1-6

And I just remembered something...I've always wanted to try macro shots of insects and other little subjects that don't like it when you get too close...would one of the longer macro lenses, like a 70-300mm work for both uses?
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    edited October 7, 2011
    A true "macro" lens will indeed allow very close focus photography. Most zoom lenses, and the typical 70-300mm zooms are in that catefory, do not allow extremely close focus.

Zoom lenses do provide the convenience and flexibility of different fields of view from a single vantage.
    ziggy53
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    Stick to sigma and tokina. I won't tell you how I feel about tamron.

If I were you though, I'd talk to that guy down the street from you and trade him product shots for a brake job on his motorcycle... mwink.gif

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited October 7, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Stick to sigma and tokina. I won't tell you how I feel about tamron.

If I were you though, I'd talk to that guy down the street from you and trade him product shots for a brake job on his motorcycle... mwink.gif

Hi, Wally!

Dude, if you'd just, I don't know...SHOW UP!!!!1!

Link me some lenses. I'm overwhelmed by all the options out there.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    edited October 7, 2011
    Ziggy--

What do you mean by extremely close focus? Not useful for shooting little critters?
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    edited October 7, 2011
    jbswear wrote: »
    Ziggy--

What do you mean by extremely close focus? Not useful for shooting little critters?

I guess we need to define some terms and quantify some sizes.

A true "macro" lens will shoot images of 1:1 magnification. This means that a US dime will fill the short dimension of the frame of a crop camera, like your Canon XTi.

"Close focus distance" is the minimum distance at which a lens can be used and will remain "sharp".

Typically longer focal length lenses allow a greater working distance from the subject, so a true macro lens with a longer focal length, like over 70mm or so, will give you a pretty good working distance for timid insects.

Recommended lenses would include:

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/167-canon-ef-100mm-f28-usm-macro-test-report--review

Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/301-sigma-af-105mm-f28-ex-macro-dg-lab-test-report--review

Tokina AF 100mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro D macro
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/270-tokina-af-100mm-f28-at-x-pro-d-macro-canon-review--test-report

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/282-tamron-af-90mm-f28-di-sp-macro-test-report--review

I did purchase a used Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP Macro 1:1 (not the Di version) for myself and I like it a lot.
    ziggy53
    edited October 7, 2011
    If you don't need a full 1:1 macro capability, a close focus adapter (diopter) will often suffice.

This is with a Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM and a Sony +3 diopter, giving me extra working distance (330 mm with the host lens at infinity, although I used less than infinity and the lens was positioned just above the jar.) It is a crop but there is still plenty of detail from the 40D image.

659956160_CQH7C-XL.jpg
    ziggy53
    edited October 7, 2011
    As always, Ziggy, you're a great help. Thanks much.

I'll study up and decide which one I'll buy. Then I'll just have to wait until I can sell a few more pens to pay for it!
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    edited October 7, 2011
    Ziggy--

What I'm currently doing is setting up my item in the light box, mounting the camera on the tripod with my 55-200 lens attached. I pull the camera back several feet and then zoom in to fill the frame. I shoot on sunny days, with my light box in the shade of my house. With no PP other than increasing the "sharpness" in Canon's software, I get images like this:

DPP_0373Medium.jpg

Shot in RAW, resized at medium size with Windows Image Resizer. This image is hosted at Photobucket.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    edited October 7, 2011
    jbswear wrote: »
    Ziggy--

What I'm currently doing is setting up my item in the light box, mounting the camera on the tripod with my 55-200 lens attached. I pull the camera back several feet and then zoom in to fill the frame. I shoot on sunny days, with my light box in the shade of my house. With no PP other than increasing the "sharpness" in Canon's software, I get images like this:

Shot in RAW, resized at medium size with Windows Image Resizer. This image is hosted at Photobucket.

Nicely done. thumb.gif Yes, a macro lens would work well in this application.
    ziggy53
    edited October 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Nicely done. thumb.gif Yes, a macro lens would work well in this application.

Thanks!

My light box is nothing more than a large heavy-duty cardboard box with windows cut into the top and two sides. One of the sides is now the bottom. I left the flaps on and taped them "open" to provide protection from the sides.

A wooden dowel run through the sides, and a sheet of poster board stapled to it. Outlay: $6 and 20 minutes.

I need to tape some white fabric over the windows for shooting in direct sun light, though.

thumb.gif
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • AmazingGrace0385AmazingGrace0385 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    I agree the Xsi isn't much of an upgrade. The t1i or t2i would be a better jump for a new body if that is the route you want to go. However, I think upgrading your lenses would serve you well. I replaced my kit lens (18-55) with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC. It averages between $300-400. Great lens!
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    If I were you, I think I'd go with the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro. Here's a review. It's small, has true macro like Ziggy mentioned, and focuses fast. Of course, it depends on your budget. I might also get a Canon 70-200 (different versions range from $500 to $2000). You mention you like doing photography of kids and dogs... well this is the lens! If you're interested, here are a few dog shots from mine, the cheapest one. Though for product photography, I think the macro would do better.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    I agree with thatcanonguy and would add the EF-S 60 /f.28 macro to Ziggy's list. In fact, I would prefer that to a 100mm for indoor tripod work with a crop sensor camera. (I have both, so I do have the choice.) The EF-s 60 mm is a superb lens, and it offers some benies, like nearly silent focusing and full time manual focusing. Most of my shots with that lens are not plain vanilla--they entail extension tubes for greater magnification, focus stacking for more DOF, or both--but here is one plain-vanilla shot that I took with that lens and a Rebel XTi when I was first starting out on macro photography:

498633502_RJ8cq-XL.jpg