Offering my own products for sale?

catcat Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited March 19, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Is there any way to offer my own products, for example, matted photographs for sale?

I would ship and fulfill these myself.

Thank you.

cat

Comments

• zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    Sure, but not through the SmugMug shopping cart. You would need to set up something like Google Checkout or use PayPal to collect the funds. It's been done before so maybe a dgrinner that has paypal will chime in. I found this thread which explains a little on how to set it up.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116380&highlight=paypal+google+checkout
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • catcat Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2011
    Thanks, Zac, I appreciate the heads up and pointer, but CSS and javascript is beyond me. I've got a merchant account setup via Intuit (for local sales) and what I'm thinking is it will probably be significantly less time consuming to just setup a shopping cart via another provider. I'm sure it's been voiced before, but it would greatly enhance SM to be able to allow people to sell product of their own. I can also see where that would open up the door to a wide variety of problems and having to revamp entirely your sales process. Still, self fulfillment would be nice and maybe it can be explored. Regards, cat.
  • catcat Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2012
    I finally found a solution to this, but I had to move to Zenfolio to do it: http://christophertippins.com. Hopefully this is something Smugmug will consider offering in the future.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Take a look at Fine Art America...they will do on demand printing or you can do it all your self ...get website with UNLIMITED STORAGE and upto 25 imagews for sale for free...if you want or need to go over 25 then it is $30 per year...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• uksnapperuksnapper Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2012
    I am currently trialing SmugMug.

I find this rather bizarre that SmugMug does not permit self-fulfil, but forces users to use one of three US-based photolabs. This for me is a show-stopper.

I'm afraid that the international shipping rates to the UK will eat into my margins, and there are other services which will allow me to filfil my own orders, thus avoiding the high cost of shipping.

I'm afraid that Zac's 'use Google checkout or PayPay' answer above doesn't help me in the slightest. I am a photographer - I want to be making money from my photos; I am NOT a computer geek, and have no interest in faffing about with lines of code. Learning how to do all that will keep me away from my business.

From what I have seen so far, SmugMug is brilliant, and really, really I want to use it to sell photos. But I can't.
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    uksnapper wrote: »
    I am currently trialing SmugMug.

I find this rather bizarre that SmugMug does not permit self-fulfil, but forces users to use one of three US-based photolabs. This for me is a show-stopper.

I'm afraid that the international shipping rates to the UK will eat into my margins, and there are other services which will allow me to filfil my own orders, thus avoiding the high cost of shipping.

I'm afraid that Zac's 'use Google checkout or PayPay' answer above doesn't help me in the slightest. I am a photographer - I want to be making money from my photos; I am NOT a computer geek, and have no interest in faffing about with lines of code. Learning how to do all that will keep me away from my business.

From what I have seen so far, SmugMug is brilliant, and really, really I want to use it to sell photos. But I can't.

SmugMug just announced earlier this month that starting on the 23rd (5 days away now) they'll be adding Loxley Colour in the UK.

http://news.smugmug.com/2012/03/04/coming-soon-uk-print-lab-loxley-colour/ thumb.gif
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • AdamideasAdamideas Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Take a look at Fine Art America...they will do on demand printing or you can do it all your self ...get website with UNLIMITED STORAGE and upto 25 imagews for sale for free...if you want or need to go over 25 then it is $30 per year...

Thanks for the info Art, I'll check them out. $30 per year sounds awesome.

Adam