Options

about to own a DSLR -info pls

luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
edited October 20, 2005 in Cameras
Haven't looked into this really but thought it will be an important thing to know...

Buying a 350D and using PSCS2 for editing.

1. What is the best software to download RAW files to to convert them to jpegs?

2. What do I need to do to avoid too much quality loss when reducing these files for posting (ie 800x600) or is this no different to now?
http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6

Comments

• Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    luckydog wrote:
    Haven't looked into this really but thought it will be an important thing to know...

2. What do I need to do to avoid too much quality loss when reducing these files for posting (ie 800x600) or is this no different to now?
    I use ACR (adobe camera raw), the built in converter for photoshop. It works pretty nicely for my needs.

Reducing pics for posting? Do you have smugmug? If so, just upload the full size originals and just use the different sizes it provides to post.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Sure do have a Smugmug account. Speaking of which it'll need a shake up in the gallery department to segregate Olympus C730 shots from Canon shots. Got some pre-emptive house cleaning to do. :):
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 20, 2005
    luckydog wrote:

Luckydog,

I recently got my 20D and went through the same process in regard to RAW.

I have tried ACR, Canon's DPP 2.0 and CaptureOne. At this stage, I would say that I am most comfortable with DPP 2.0. I think DPP 1.6 will come with your camera. You can download the new version from Canon's website...it has a lot of new features.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    10d
    You should get a 10D actually. It's a lot cheaper and enough to get you a decent wide angle lens. Eventually you can move up once prices drop. They should drop even more soon.

Every auction usually ends around 600 bucks for a 10d. I got mine for 660 off ebay and only 800 shots taken. But hey thats my opinion, you probably might have already made up your mind so pointless trying to fix the tower of pisa.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Mate try raw shooter..its free & it works very well. You will love that camera.

Gus
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 20, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    You should get a 10D actually. It's a lot cheaper and enough to get you a decent wide angle lens. Eventually you can move up once prices drop. They should drop even more soon.

Every auction usually ends around 600 bucks for a 10d. I got mine for 660 off ebay and only 800 shots taken. But hey thats my opinion, you probably might have already made up your mind so pointless trying to fix the tower of pisa.
    Chris,

The only problem with the 10D is that due to the crop factor,wide angle lens like the 16-35/17-40 aren't as wide as on a full-size sensor, but by going to the 10D limited your ability to use EF-S mount lens. THis might not be a big problem, but something to think about.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos