Something in between

GoGoGavin41GoGoGavin41 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 11, 2011 in Cameras
So, we've got the big 60D, the small S95 for under the sea, the Optio W90 (well, I broke it, but there'll be another one soon enough). The little lady will eventually get her wish granted for the 5D or 7D (once I'm making six figures, HA!), but all this picture taking has me getting ramped up for my next piece.

I like the idea of getting something between (in terms of price, size, quality, etc..) the higher end point and shoot (S95), and the full body DSLR. The first thing that comes to mind is something like the G10 or G12, but I dono, I just want something differenter haha. I like the idea of these mirrorless cameras like the Sony NEX series or the Nikon 1 mirrorless, but I hear lots of people telling me I don't actually want that, for whatever reason.

This camera will almost certainly get a housing, as I'm not quite satisfied with what the S95 is capable of underwater, but don't want to take out a loan to get a rig for one of the DSLRs.

So what should I be looking at? G12? Mirrorless? Something I haven't even heard about?

Comments

• Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I think a mirrorless would be "in between" the advanced point&shoots and a DSLR. The G12 is pretty much the same camera as the S95, but with more external controls and a different lens.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    I think a G12 or G-whatever would be a waste of money. The G12 is just an advanced S95 (they share the same sensor).

A mirrorless camera would be ideal, I think. The Canon mirrorless system would do, but it's the "something I haven't even heard about." You haven't heard about it because, well, it doesn't exist :D

But there are other companies who do make mirrorless cameras: Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic... See if your camera store has these. Try them out, see if you like them. They each have their advantages.

Nikon 1: fast continuous shooting, general advanced features, good video capabilities. It was just released, so we don't know that much about it.
    Sony NEX: Big sensor, about the size of the 60D's sensor. In a much smaller body.
    Olympus/Panasonic: Fast AF (Olympus), wide selection of lenses....

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure each has more advantages. Oh, and Samsung also makes mirrorless cameras.