Options

Best ON camera solutions for outdoor portraits?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 23, 2011 in People
As some of you saw, I'm supposed to have a toddler shoot this weekend - at this point I'm not even sure it's happening (long story - nobody's fault), but IF it does... I have lost my young Elf to act as a VAL/reflector holder due to other commitments. Frankly, I was worried about trying to use OCF with what will likely be a fast-moving subect anyway!

However, if it's sunny I'l need some kind of fill in the later afternoon sunshine. I'm happy to bounce for fill, but this will be in a park, so that won't work. I don't really like bare flash as fill (although I can make it work for me, I always hate the catchlights), but I'm not really sure what other options there are.

Thoughts? It's something to think about even if I don't wind up using it right away, so thanks in advance :thumb

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    Well, I use a Fong diffuser sometimes. It actually does work to soften the bare flash, despite some arguments to the contrary. Mostly, I look for shade in these situations and use as much natural light as possible. I also sometimes put my flash on a stand in an area where I anticipate trying to snag a couple posed shots, and I leave it there when it's time to give chase.
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing as I have a family in the park coming up and my "assistant" (teen daughter) has other plans. Usually I get her to hold my softbox on a modified paint pole -idea from Jeffreax, I believe. I did a DIY bounce similiar to this one awhile back for fun and thought I might dig it out and see how it worked outside. http://gallery.tc.dk/v/misc/diy/flashbounce/
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    If you can't take it off camera in mid day sun, either setup a sun shade (box, expensive and unlikely) just find a way to use the existing light. For example, find a patch of grass to work with your subject near a parked car that is bouncing light on your subject.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    The big Flash Bender. Pretty big tunable light for your flash. Good on camera, and even better off camera.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    Just go natural light, keep it simple.
    Look for natural reflections and shoot late in the day...piece of cake. Stay out of predominately green shaded areas, that is the worst light.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    Great ideas (and Pat, as always, you take the prize for "real world technique" - never mind modifiers, just be creative with what's actually there! thumb.gif).

I have a Fong, and any number of DIY bounce cards - I was thinking of using those anyway, so it's encouraging that some of you have tried them successfully. If you have any samples to share, please do post - thanks!

Keep any other ideas coming....

Oh, and Amanda, my Elf is also my 13 year old, but turns out she has to do something for a class that afternoon so won't be available. Also: I now have a Shurline paintpole (actually bought it to paint, but in the knowledge it was a great camera accessory!) and just need to get the Kacey adapter for it.... :D
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I vote no flash in open shade for my first choice with little kids.

My second or third options would be either the black foamie thing (Neil van Niekerk) or a hot shoe ring flash. I _love_ the orbis.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Stay out of predominately green shaded areas, that is the worst light.

That's going to be the hardest part - it's a big, grassy park with lots of trees....! eek7.gif Hoping for some near-peak foliage by next weekend though (and shoot has just been confirmed - weather permitting, this is a go)

Tx, aktse - ~facepalm~ -the foamie thing! Duh. Of course, you've also got me thinking about an Orbis now, too, although that's way outside my "disposable income to spend on camera goodies" at the moment, alas lol3.gif (I have a DIY tupperware ring, but it's too rickety to use on camera. Have to think about that..... :D)
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Use this. Best $14 you'll ever spend.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Check out Cliff Mautner's "Shooting Around The Clock" video over at Kelby Training. It's a great overview of how to shoot outdoors at any time of day in natural light. It's geared toward wedding photography, but very applicable to any subject.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2011
    More great suggestions clap.gif Hope this thread is as useful to others as it is to me!

jpc, thanks for the link - I'd been sniffing around Lumiquest, but this one is SO much cheaper it's a no-brainer to have it in the bag. Excellent! thumb.gif

ARK, will check it out.
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Oh, and Amanda, my Elf is also my 13 year old, but turns out she has to do something for a class that afternoon so won't be available. Also: I now have a Shurline paintpole (actually bought it to paint, but in the knowledge it was a great camera accessory!) and just need to get the Kacey adapter for it.... :D

Yes I remember we are close as mine is 15 and getting busier with her own life :(
    The paint pole is the best and the adapter also fits on a diy light stand I have (an old iv pole that has wheels and folds up)
    Looking forward to seeing your session images and seeing how anything you use works out-
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2011
    I think it's fair to say I'm panicking, but hopefully I'll come up with something! We'll see... definitely "outside the comfort zone" :D
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    I haven't been over to Lowes to check out the options, but perhaps something pointy that can be stuck in the ground and the pole into that so you get a light stick that you can just plant...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Instead of worrying about the light how about going the opposite way and try to coral the child in some fashion. Rope off an area with toys or blocks or parents to keep his/her interest in one area. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2011
    jpc wrote: »

Just received one of these - GREAT addition to the bag. Sure, it's not big enough to act as a "real" sb, but for emergencies and/or to soften on-camera flash a little, it's a terrific, well-made add-on which takes up zero room in the camera bag. Impressed thumb.gif
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    JPC, what flash do you use that with? It looks like it might cover focus assist beam and infrared sensor or the Canon 580ex and exII.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I'm late to the party, and pretty much always agree with Pat anyway, but I found this and have been thinking about getting it as a step up from Tupperware but not quite as dent-the-bank as Orbis. My only trouble is if I talk myself into it, I just as easily talk myself into spending that amount four times over for the Orbis. So I buy nothing...because I can talk myself into anything if it means buying more photo toys. :D
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    jpc, what flash do you use that with? It looks like it might cover focus assist beam and infrared sensor or the canon 580ex and exii.

sb700.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Diva,

As you know, I spend my life outdoors usually between 10:00 and 2:00 and usually in a woodsy area so I've got the worst of all worlds like you're describing.

My two "go to" modifiers on location are the Fong and a Yanguno diffuser that looks exactly like that Amazon product that was linked up above.

Although these were off camera, the last three in this thread are with the Yanguna

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=207835

See what you think.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    The big Flash Bender. Pretty big tunable light for your flash. Good on camera, and even better off camera.

I bought the small and large one and like both. Large Rogue Flash Bender
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    JPC, what flash do you use that with? It looks like it might cover focus assist beam and infrared sensor or the Canon 580ex and exII.

Worked GREAT with the 430ex. The way it attaches it would be easy to fold back the fabric to avoid a sensor if you needed to, I think. The larger size they offer, perhaps not, but with the 6x7, no problemo.

Obviously, it's not going to act like a full-size SB, but it definitely improved the quality of light, IMO. For $14 and being an easy, lightweight fit into a bag, it's a no-brainer. I'll be posting some shots from the session soon, so you can see results with it.

Kerry, that is indeed an intriguing piece of (affordable!) gear! It looks less soft than the Orbis though - at least from the picture, it seems the front panel is clear rather than diffuse? Hard to tell. If you do buy one, please report back - very interesting possibility!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Anxious to see your results. This item has been sitting on my Amazon wish list and it might be time to get it.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    If you get a chance it would be nice to see the difference with the box and the flash without the box. I just have some concerns with how small it is.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Most any on camera modifier can be skipped outdoors in daylight...or open shade. Most just arent large enough to soften the blow.....and end up just sucking the life out of your batteries. Just use FEC to kiss your subject with a little extra light.....without destroying that natural light goodness. Try to shoot mostly in landscape orientation to avoid side shadows.......then crop to portrait in post if need be.

...and dont discout existing light.mwink.gif

The advice for trying to figure out how to coral the little one is golden.thumb.gif
  • Options
    rt2photort2photo Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I just had this exact problem this weekend - family portrait at a local apple picking farm (here in New England - great colors) - the farm had pumpkin patches and tractors for the kids to sit in - all in the bright direct sunlight.

I shot some with a Cheetah Qbox 24 on a long ETTL cable, but when we got mobile, I put the 580exII in the hotshoe, strapped a big Lumiquest Softbox III to it and took these:

2011-10-16-at-10-20-58-M.jpg

2011-10-16-at-10-25-32-M.jpg

When I got home, using the same setup I got this of my little one

i-gBBSxQj-M.jpg

I really only worked because I was shooting fairly wide angle (28mm on a crop), and was pretty close to the subject. Shooting in portrait mode was handy too, the flash was off to the side, not on top of the lens.

Thanks to this thread, I'm *really* tempted by an Orbis, or Orbis clone ...
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    I have the large Rogue Flash Bender and it's produced the best results so far out of all the other speedlight modifiers I've owned. I've spent WAY too much money on this kind of stuff. Way, way too much.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2011
    I have the large Rogue Flash Bender and it's produced the best results so far out of all the other speedlight modifiers I've owned. I've spent WAY too much money on this kind of stuff. Way, way too much.

That is the problem with most forums. You have many folks giving their opinion and have very little experience with light. We all need to do due diligence and take opinions with a small grain of salt and research like mad. This forum is a great place to start but we don't need most of the items we think we need!
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    That is the problem with most forums. You have many folks giving their opinion and have very little experience with light. We all need to do due diligence and take opinions with a small grain of salt and research like mad. This forum is a great place to start but we don't need most of the items we think we need!

Too true. Funnily enough, the Rogue is the only one of my aforementioned purchases that I actually borrowed from someone to try before buying!
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Llywellyn wrote: »
    I'm late to the party, and pretty much always agree with Pat anyway, but I found this and have been thinking about getting it as a step up from Tupperware but not quite as dent-the-bank as Orbis. My only trouble is if I talk myself into it, I just as easily talk myself into spending that amount four times over for the Orbis. So I buy nothing...because I can talk myself into anything if it means buying more photo toys. :D

Bought one of those - sent it back. Flimsy and crappy and if you don't order the exact model that fits your particular flash (or if you have two or more different flash units - each requires its own), you are knackered.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada