Options

Don't throw away those blurred images...Adobe has an answer - WOW!

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited October 18, 2011 in Finishing School
Just saw this link posted. Pretty amazing at the 1:18 mark. Would be nice if the video quality was better but still very impressive.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/10/photoshop-unblur-leaves-max-audience-gasping-for-air/

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Without being able to see the video right now, is this significantly different from the deblurring tools provided by Focus Magic, FocusFixer, or Topaz InFocus?
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2011
    Judging solely from the crowd's reaction, it seems to be. Sort of like that wow they got the first time they showed the Content-Aware brush tool
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Adobe has posted the real video and it is pretty amazing...actually it's just amazing

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited October 17, 2011
    This is a type of "deconvolution". Specifically it is mostly "motion deconvolution". Adobe Photoshop already has a simplified version built into the Smart Sharpen filter. You do have to guess the path and angle, but if you use CS4 or CS5 (I think) and choose:

Filter
    Smart Sharpen
    Remove: Motion Blur

Then (guess and) set the Amount, Radius and Angle settings, you may (or may not), depending on the accuracy of your guess and how straight the motion blur path is and the extent of the blur, see some improvement.

The current Smart Sharpen Motion de-Blur is fairly limited to smaller images too, so large resolution images may not show much improvement at all.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 17, 2011
    As a demonstration of what is possible, it is mouthwatering. BUT: when the machine they use in an Adobe demo it is considered "a little slow" you have to wonder how much horsepower we're going to need to run it. I think for now, I'm going to try to keep my camera steady. mwink.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited October 17, 2011
    The larger the shake and the more complicated the shake path, the greater the number of machine cycles it takes to "unthread" the damage. It can take a large image plenty of time to process, even on a very powerful machine and even with carefully optimized algorithms.

Other software that can do some motion deconvolution:

Focus Magic

Image Analyzer (Freeware, Win 98 - Win 7) (Not terribly well optimized.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Ziggy, also Topaz InFocus, which randomly is magical or terrible, but always requires a bit of work on the part of the end user. I really hope Adobe has something special, but what's the saying? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a canned demo." :D
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Adobe admits to synthetically blurring their sample image: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101813adobeclarifies.asp.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 18, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    Adobe admits to synthetically blurring their sample image: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11101813adobeclarifies.asp.

About that ^^^. There was a reply post on one of the adobe fanboy pages (where the demo video was embedded) that had a link to the photographer's extremely sharp original photo. Sad to see Adobe purposely distorting a photo and then pretending to fix it in post. Hopefully it isn't true, or only partially true. A stunt setup perhaps, and I sure hope the shipping software does perform near miracles on real unintentional blurred pics.

Lets say that a photog took a pic in a hurry of some disaster occurring and had only a split second to shoot a sequence and fudged it up a bit. Something like this could help aid in reconstructing the documentation of such an event. In theory, the same algorithms could repair video footage.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky