Monarch Migration "three"

powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited October 16, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was lucky to find a huge group of monarchs hanging out at the shore yesterday! Today was much windier, and they had moved along. I posted one shot in the challenge, and then was revisiting my other options. I'm wondering if the action of flight might make either of these options a stronger entry...and, just thought I'd share!:D

Migrating
DSC1142butterflies-L.jpg

In Flight

DSC1141inflight-L.jpg

thanks, Joy

Comments

• kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    I actually like both of these better than the one you entered, as the monarchs are closer together; and of these two, I like the second one a little better. Great capture!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Haven't checked the entry gallery... but I love these two. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    I like #1. The image is more crisp and the monarchs are in a more typical butterfly position. The funky position of the top monarch kept my eye there a bit longer than you'd want, but it adds some interest.

How funny..... I specifically went in search of monarchs on Sunday. I couldn't get a group of 3 to cooperate. I did shoot a group of 3 Black Swallowtail caterpillars, tho. Laughing.gif.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the input.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    I like the first, including your current entry. Might consider a crop of the bottom -- you can change the aspect ratio to 3:4 or 4:5(thus losing no width of the shot). See if you like that.ne_nau.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    These are nicer than the current entry, in my opinion. Either one you choose I would crop a lot of the bottom to almost square.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited October 12, 2011
    Aha! good ideas about the cropping...the green stalks don't really do much. I think I switched the order, but here are different crops of the two:

In Flight Horizontal
    DSC1141different-cropautograph-L.jpg

Closer to Square Crop Migration
    DSC1142butterfliescropauto-L.jpg

thanks for looking.
    edited October 12, 2011
    Hard to decide... they are so beautiful!

Maybe the horizontal one would be the best choice?
    Travelways.com
    edited October 12, 2011
    Nice to see you back here, photo-funtasia...been awhile, right? Thanks, I'm sure either would be fine.
    edited October 12, 2011
    Thank you powder... yeah, it's been awhile :)
    Travelways.com
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    I like the first shot best - fantastic!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Of the redos, I like the "closer to square" one because the yellow plant does not distract from the butterflies like it does in the horizontal crop. I also like the positions of the three butterflies slightly more, too. Beautiful shots -- will get a vote from me.
    edited October 13, 2011
    That's a point, rainbow....less of the plant and more of the butterflies. hmmm. thanks.
  • WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    I'm new to the forum so forgive the intrusion but FWIW...

I think the horiz crop is the way to go but would shift the monarchs to the left 1/3 to 1/2 of the frame. That will remove most of the flower which is competing with the monarch's for the viewer's attention. The visible flower that remains in the composition will complement the butterflies. The green stalk of the flower will be descending out of the frame in a downward diagonal providing a natural way to capture the focus of the viewer at the left and have it move smoothly to the right.
    edited October 13, 2011
    Welcome, werewolf. Thanks for chiming in. Is this the kind of crop you meant? very interesting. I find people here so helpful and generous with their suggestions.
    Joy

Werewolf Crop
    DSC1141newestcrop-L.jpg
  • WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    That's what I meant. thanks for trying it out. But my judgement re: what would work was wrong.

I believe the diagonal flow of the flower is the way to go and a review of the various crops tried so far shows that the vertical one in msg #8 is what I imagined. doing a more thorough review I believe that you got it right the 1st time with the vertical shots in your original post. FWIW in my opinion they're the best of the lot after going back and reviewing all the different versions.

Funny how what one imagines in the minds eye often time doesn't match reality.

Your original shots are great. Thanks for sharing.
    edited October 13, 2011
    powder wrote: »
    That's a point, rainbow....less of the plant and more of the butterflies. hmmm. thanks.

Hey, this is what I meant too - but please don't make the mistake of getting carried away with the idea
    of "what may be the best" - best for whom?

I think your "In Flight Horizontal" is wonderful, and I personally will vote for it thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    I like the horizontal crop with the monarchs on the right side. It seems more balanced.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • djkraandjkraan Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    Wonderful colors
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    I like the horizontal crop with the monarchs on the right side. It seems more balanced.

Chris
    I agree
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011

Chris
    I agree
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    In Flight Horizontal feels balanced to me and the flower just leads me to to butterflies.