Options

b&w head shots

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited October 13, 2011 in People
I was going for simple, straight-forward head shots for an athletic business. I wanted them to have a cohesive look and for the b&w to be appealing. Did I pass? Thoughts and comments appreciated!

IMG3159-XL.jpg

IMG3175-XL.jpg

IMG3180-XL.jpg

IMG3191-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    clap.gifLove these. That last shot is awesome, you really caught her. They will love them.
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    great job. no muddy tones. everyone looks good and the look is cohesive.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    clap.gifLove these. That last shot is awesome, you really caught her. They will love them.

Thanks, zoomer! #4 was one of my faves as well.
    Elaine

• Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    great job. no muddy tones. everyone looks good and the look is cohesive.

Thank you very much. I was concerned that they may be a touch hot on the left side as there was a lot of reflection from some pavement coming from an open garage door. It seemed more prevalent in this shot more than the others, so I toned down her left/lower face a bit:

IMG3166-XL.jpg

With the guys, (#3 and #6), I learned about head position and the far ear. I realized it looked best to have no ear or most of the ear showing. A bit of ear poking out looked odd.

IMG3202-XL.jpg
    Elaine

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    I'm a tall fellow and because of that I would like a slightly higher camera angle but that might be due to my seeing the world by looking down a bit. Interested in what others think? Great job on the B&W.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I'm a tall fellow and because of that I would like a slightly higher camera angle but that might be due to my seeing the world by looking down a bit. Interested in what others think? Great job on the B&W.

Yes, I have to agree with you on the camera height. The only reason I was this low is because I was working in a very confined space and there was a pesky outlet on the wall behind them, so I was trying to use their body to hide the outlet. Later, I realized I shouldn't have worried about the outlet so much 'cause it probably wouldn't have been that hard to clone out, but at the time, I was trying to reduce my detail work on each picture.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad the b&w looks good!
    Elaine

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    Great job, Elaine! I admit I find the black-on-black a little bit dark (although my monitor needs calibration so that may be part of it too!), but you've executed it very well, and I'm sure they'll be super pleased. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Definitely cohesive and the B&W and the lighting are both nice. I'd like to see a little more separation between the background and your subjects (a bit more kicker on the shoulders and hair would do it). Also, I don't think the clothes or poses show off your subjects' athleticism as much as possible, but everyone looks good nevertheless.