Lightning Power Shots 2011

jmchaserjmchaser Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 12, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Hey all!! New on here, but I've enjoyed looking through other SmugMug users' pics!

Been chasing since about 1997, but didn't get into shooting lightning seriously until about '06. This year, I managed to capture some landmark shots with my trusty Canon 40D, like these from not far east of home in Denver:

IMG0954AA2-L.jpg

IMG0219Acr-L.jpg
A nice farm landscape out on the Nebraska Panhandle.

IMG0946AA2-XL.jpg

IMG0945wtmk-L.jpg
The fabled Bolt from the Blue, so named since they shoot out of the top of the storm, arcing sideways for miles
(some have been documented to extend more than 20 miles!!) touching down far outside of the storm's main rainy areas. I love how this one's reaching down, with claws!

....and probably my personal fav:lust, a super-charged multi-pronged power bolt!
IMG0043a1-copy-20000-XL.jpg
This bad-boy came out of a dying storm, believe it or not, & made up for A LOT of chasing that I didn't get to do earlier this crazy season & left me feeling pretty accomplished! :ivar

Most of the exposures were taken between 10-30 secs at ISO 100. Feel free to ask for more details on any of the above & offer feedback! THANKS

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited October 12, 2011
    Whoah! Fantastic set, and a great first post here. Welcome to DGrin! wave.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    Wow!
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    They are all nice.. but that last is outstanding. welcome to dgrin.
    Devin