Options

My First Engagement Shoot!

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited October 23, 2011 in Weddings
Even though Sam and Natasha knew I'd never done an engagement shoot before, they were willing to let me take a crack at it based on other work of mine that they've seen. I've only processed a few shots, but figured I put them out there for comments before I process the rest.

IMG0046-XL.jpg

IMG0015-XL.jpg

IMG0110-XL.jpg

IMG0646-XL.jpg

IMG0165-XL.jpg

IMG0196-XL.jpg

Ok, sorry that was more than a few. :D

Thanks!
-joel

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    Good job! I would correct the horizon on unnumbered #5. :D

Well...what do you think about this kind of shooting?

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Good job! I would correct the horizon on unnumbered #5. :D

Well...what do you think about this kind of shooting?

Sam
    Thanks, Sam! I enjoyed the shoot, which was not without a couple of minor snags to add to the stress level. But the couple was just super to work with and we had a lot of fun.

You're right about the horizon in #5. Oops. eek7.gif
  • Options
    BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    The whole set is really good. The last three are the best with 5 and 6 being my favorites. There is some blur on the last one, but it works for me.
    Jacek
    edited October 13, 2011
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    The whole set is really good. The last three are the best with 5 and 6 being my favorites. There is some blur on the last one, but it works for me.

Thanks very much for your comments, Jacek. You're right, there is some motion blur on the last one due to a slow shutterspeed because the light was pretty much gone at that point. I'm happy it works though.

EDIT: Wow, the work on your website is awesome. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Nice work!!!

Thanks, John!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited October 14, 2011
    I really like #6 - wonderful color execution, nice pose, nice expression, lovely colors. My feedback would be: be very conscious of expression when you select shots. Based on that, I would eliminate #1 out of the set. While we photographers look at lighting, composition, hue and saturation, clients look at themselves with a microscope & lots of baggage. Does my nose have a pimple? Is my expression weird? That's my fat side! etc, etc.
    Hope that helps :)
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2011
    sphynge wrote: »
    I really like #6 - wonderful color execution, nice pose, nice expression, lovely colors. My feedback would be: be very conscious of expression when you select shots. Based on that, I would eliminate #1 out of the set. While we photographers look at lighting, composition, hue and saturation, clients look at themselves with a microscope & lots of baggage. Does my nose have a pimple? Is my expression weird? That's my fat side! etc, etc.
    Hope that helps :)
    Thank you, Caroline! I looked at your website, great stuff!

You nailed me perfectly. I'm terrible at reading expressions. I think everyone looks great all the time. That being said, #1 is the client's top pick out of 260 proofs. Just goes to show ya, huh? ne_nau.gif:D

These were all their top picks except for #3 which I threw in there for something different.

Thanks again for the input!

-joel
  • Options
    BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    kdog wrote: »

EDIT: Wow, the work on your website is awesome. bowdown.gif

Thanks Joel
    Jacek
    edited October 15, 2011
    #6 is super awesome! Love it.
    #5 is fun :) love that rocky area on Baker Beach

#4 at the Palace of Fine Arts bugs me that your background is entirely 100% in focus, I'd love to see some difference in depth of field to help the couple pop in the photo.

You have some additional good shots from this set on your website, good stuff :)
  • Options
    AmazingGrace0385AmazingGrace0385 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Love #2! Nice set!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    #6 is super awesome! Love it.
    #5 is fun :) love that rocky area on Baker Beach

#4 at the Palace of Fine Arts bugs me that your background is entirely 100% in focus, I'd love to see some difference in depth of field to help the couple pop in the photo.

You have some additional good shots from this set on your website, good stuff :)
    Thank you VERY much Cat! bowdown.gif And thanks for caring enough to look in the gallery as well. I see your point about #4 needing a shallower DOF. There were some trade-offs made there complicated by flash synch speed and the fact that I didn't want to blow out the sky. And of course it's hard to get a shallow DOF in a wide-angle shot like that. But you've got me curious now if I can do better next time. For example, I was shooting with a long lens on my 5DMKII and shooting the wider shots with my 7D. Now I'm thinking maybe it would work better the other way around. I'll have to play with that.

Thanks again!

-joel
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Love #2! Nice set!

Thanks very much! That's my favorite of the day as well. :D
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I love two,that is a fun creative shot, like 4 also.
    5 you really got some personality in that one.
    I don't love the flashed look in a couple of them but still nice shots, I understand the need to freeze the movement.
    You did a good job I bet they love them.
    Being a good photographer to begin makes this stuff not that hard and you will improve very fast as you gain confidence.

As long as she looks good that is the main thing.....like 1.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    I love two,that is a fun creative shot, like 4 also.
    5 you really got some personality in that one.
    I don't love the flashed look in a couple of them but still nice shots, I understand the need to freeze the movement.
    You did a good job I bet they love them.
    Being a good photographer to begin makes this stuff not that hard and you will improve very fast as you gain confidence.

As long as she looks good that is the main thing.....like 1.
    Thanks for the feedback, Zoomer! Yeah, the flash was pretty much mandatory on the beach shots because it was very dark out by then.

Yes, they like the shots.

I really appreciate you checking in. thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    LordKwazLordKwaz Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Great work. Number 1 could have been great but Ill blame the groom to be
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    #2 is my fav.... good posing and composition.

#1 would work better if you were able to get a better expression from his face.