D700 or New Lense?

2»

Comments

• MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    ditto!

And another ditto, unless I have no bag with me in which case I use a Black Rapid (http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-5/ ) which goes across the shoulder, stays out of the way better, and is more comfortable for all day use. thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    In the heat of social event shooting I "have" had the camera get knocked out of my hand, and I was glad to have a strap catch the camera/lens/flash before it did serious damage. I'm a big believer in always having a strap of some sort, either a neck strap or a shoulder strap, and using the strap properly.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    I used to use straps, but for the kind of shooting I do, I usually prefer a Canon E-1 hand strap. Usually my setup is relatively lightweight: 1D2 + 70-200 f4, max. Usually I'm using something lighter. I like having a hand strap when I'm just carrying a body and a small lens. I neck strap just seems to get in the way, or make the whole setup more bulky. Now if I need to use a heavy lens with a flash, that's when I'd use a strap.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    In the heat of social event shooting I "have" had the camera get knocked out of my hand, and I was glad to have a strap catch the camera/lens/flash before it did serious damage. I'm a big believer in always having a strap of some sort, either a neck strap or a shoulder strap, and using the strap properly.

I can understand the use of a small shoulder strap, in the social environment where you're not shooting all the time. Personally, I find that a regular Op-Tech neck strap, the kind that un-joins and turns into a hand strap, works perfect if you just use the hand strap portion. It's short enough to wrap around your wrist once but without constraining your movement, and it's long enough to sling the whole camera over your shoulder. And when I do, I sling it with the lens pointed across my back, instead of outward, and that helps to really balance the weight properly. A mid-size camera body with a small prime can be carried around all night without any pain, and little risk of dropping.

However, when it comes time to shoot a job and my camera is in my hand 99% of the time and up to my eye 50% of the time, I prefer a normal hand strap. A normal hand strap also gives mie a bit more security when using the Spyder Holster system that I love, for carrying two cameras and/or a small pouch bag...

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    I think, what I am going to do is, for now, use my D90's neck strap on the D700 and order a hand strap for my D700. This way, I will have both options :) I can then choose which one would work best with my awesome D700 and the type of shooting I do :)
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    GemGem wrote: »
    I think, what I am going to do is, for now, use my D90's neck strap on the D700 and order a hand strap for my D700. This way, I will have both options :) I can then choose which one would work best with my awesome D700 and the type of shooting I do :)

Most tripod mounted hand straps allow for the attachment of a shoulder strap simultaneously. I do double duty during jobs and it adds tons of stability and keeps muscle stress to a minimum.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    time2smile wrote: »

Thank you! time2smile :)
  • cupiccupic Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    I would with the D700 as to the successor will be fantastic so will the price

cheers