Options

Critique Please

megriffmegriff Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited October 13, 2011 in People
Hi All,

I just recently discovered this site. I would love feedback on a couple of shots I did this weekend. Thanks!

xbmkxs.jpg

2q8v9r5.jpg
Meghan

Comments

• Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Like the pictures and poses etc, but you should have changed the aperture to keep everyone in focus. #1 is less obvious than #2.....but it is there as well.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    I noticed that as well. What aperture would you suggest? I was using f/3.5
    Meghan
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Agreed on both comments.

Particularly with # 2 it looks like you needed to stop down a bit. The DOF is too shallow to get all the people in sharp.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    DaverDaver Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Welcome Meghan ! Could you provide some information on the lens you were using? With a little more information, I am sure you will get some great tips. Lots of good folks here to help you out.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    I know I've done this and smacked myself later. You need to take care with more than one subject in the frame to ensure that you've got enough DOF to keep everyone in focus. Unless you can guarantee that everyone's eyes are on the same plane, I would strongly suggestion you go f8 or better for group shots like this.

Post some more!
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    One more suggestion on the DOF. Remember that it is to both sides of the focal plane, so focus on the middle of the depth, in this case the young man. You will still need a much smaller aperture than what you used.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    I like the first one, cool shot.
    Second one is tilted left and looks like you took in on a dark day with slow shutter speed. There is some motion blur in that one. Depending on how close you were standing and your lens and mm you may have gotten away with F4 if you had focused on the person in the middle.
    I like your choice of black and white.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everybody! I was completely kicking myself after I uploaded it to my computer and saw the little girl in the front was out of focus. Daver, I was using a Canon 50mm f/1.8 for these shots. The first was taken at f/3.2 for 1/200 and the second was taken at f/3.5 for 1/800. It wasn't super dark out but it was overcast. You can tell it's sunny because they are squinting. Luckily these were for fun and not paid.
    Meghan
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    You might be able to reclaim a little bit of sharpness in the first one in Photoshop. Check out the tutorial pages for Dgrin if you need some ideas.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    You might be able to reclaim a little bit of sharpness in the first one in Photoshop. Check out the tutorial pages for Dgrin if you need some ideas.

Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop, only Lightroom. I am looking at getting it but probably not until the new year. I had CS4 on my old computer but it crashed so I bought a Mac and sadly it wasn't compatible.
    Meghan