Orton

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited December 2, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
So about three challenges ago, Sean posted something very beautiful and intriguing to me - the Orton technique. It took me a while to give it a try. Here are some of my first results - I like them but I wonder if I just like playing around with something new, or if there is something worthwhile here. I'd love to hear what you think.

Dogwoods

i-j6HHzQd-L.jpg

The Forest

i-VxR8mHG-L.jpg

Sea Holly:

i-LjT656f-L.jpg

Apples:

i-k8kXS2W-L.jpg

Tree

i-8MFfjFq-L.jpg

and

Textures

i-mMr22cj-L.jpg

I look forward to some feedback.

Comments

• cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    I love the Forest, Holly and Texture shots. The Orton effect was fun to learn, and I bought one of his books to read more. You have captured it well here IMO.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    These are the kind of pictures I love to get. I don't really like 1 & 2 - 1 looks like crumpled paper to me and I just don't much like 2 - but I think Apples and Tree are wonderful; Apples seems like something alive and I don't know exactly why I like Tree so much but I do. Sea Holly and Textures are beautiful and would look good on a wall.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    The Orton technique is a fun and very useful technique to use.

I like the first one the best. The movement seems natural to me.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    Thanks, everyone. I selected these because I *thought* they respected the idea of the technique the best, but truth be told I prefer the more abstract ones, like 'Texture' than the ones where you can make out bits of the subject. You can see others here if you are so inclined.

To me, the abstracts seem like they are either crops from impressionist paintings, or perhaps woven fabrics.

I'm planning on printing a couple, probably on metal.

More C&C is welcome!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Ann - I experiment with Michael Orton's technique frequently and have a few on my site. I have trouble with the impressionistic shots but have had some luck with abstracts created by camera movement. I especially like your Sea Holly and Textures because of their bright colors and brushstroke appearance. I hope you'll keep this up; IMO you are off to a wonderful start with your Orton exploration!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com