Full Moon over The Bay

dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited October 13, 2011 in Landscapes
Spent some time last weekend exploring Marin Headlands with my son. It was our first time visiting this part of The Bay and what a beautiful location. We just happened to catch the moonrise at sunset over the Golden Gate Bridge.

09Oct116989A2moon6-XL.jpg

09Oct117014A2-XL.jpg

09Oct117028Amoon-XL.jpg

Update: Here is an edit with a slightly darker moon. Also click on full size under the image if it has been reduced to fit in your screen.

09Oct117028Amoon2-XL.jpg

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Very nice compositions. FWIW, you may want to consider using some additional exposures to capture better detail of the moon (easy to overexpose) and combine using HDR. Or maybe use some layering to replace the blown out moon.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    aj986s wrote: »
    Very nice compositions. FWIW, you may want to consider using some additional exposures to capture better detail of the moon (easy to overexpose) and combine using HDR. Or maybe use some layering to replace the blown out moon.

Thanks Tony. And I already did what you recommended BTW. The moon actually has a lot of detail when viewed larger. The original was blown out and also warped from the longer exposure. But I took another shorter exposure to capture the detail and correct shape, then applied that in another layer.
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Beautiful! I see you are in my neck of the woods! You've inspired me to head over to the Marin Headlands, camera in hand, for some shots in this wonderful weather we are having here in SF.
    edited October 13, 2011
    jhefti wrote: »
    Beautiful! I see you are in my neck of the woods! You've inspired me to head over to the Marin Headlands, camera in hand, for some shots in this wonderful weather we are having here in SF.

John, thanks. You sure live in a beautiful area. And the weather has been spectacular this fall minus some rainy days. There are so many cool places to shoot around the Marin Headlands I look forward to getting back there.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 13, 2011
    Nice shots, Derek! That was good fortune to catch the moon over the bridge as it adds a lot to the shots. Love the lighting in the last shot although the moon does look a bit hot in it, at least at this size. Funny, I did some GG photography myself the other day and have a thread in the wedding section, of all places. mwink.gif (last two shots)

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 13, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Nice shots, Derek! That was good fortune to catch the moon over the bridge as it adds a lot to the shots. Love the lighting in the last shot although the moon does look a bit hot in it, at least at this size. Funny, I did some GG photography myself the other day and have a thread in the wedding section, of all places. mwink.gif (last two shots)

Cheers,
    -joel

Joel,

I checked out your post from the engagement photos from the other side of the GG Bridge. Baker Beach right? A friend of mine's wife does wedding photography and did some wedding shots there also with the full dress and tux. It's a very scenic spot that's for sure. Have you ever shot from the other side? If not I highly recommend checking out Marin Headlands. I want to go back and shot the lighthouse there at night.

With regards to the last picture I noticed something funny. The moon appears more blown out here than in the original or even my SM gallery. Then I checked different browsers and in FF its much sharper than in IE. This makes the images less sharp/more fuzzy overall. I kinda like it bright but with visible detail. Although I agree it could be darkened a tad.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 13, 2011
    Yup, Baker Beach. Is the NRA area on the Marin side in the Marin Headlands? We were up that way on Saturday after my kid's gymnastics meet in Larkspur, just goofing around. Although I didn't see a lighthouse, so maybe that's not right. We took some snapshots, but I want to go back there for sunset sometime for sure. Maybe we can meet up there some time. This is where we were.

IMG0553-M.jpg
    edited October 13, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Yup, Baker Beach. Is the NRA area on the Marin side in the Marin Headlands? We were up that way on Saturday after my kid's gymnastics meet in Larkspur, just goofing around. Although I didn't see a lighthouse, so maybe that's not right. We took some snapshots, but I want to go back there for sunset sometime for sure. Maybe we can meet up there some time. This is where we were.
    Joel,

Its Pt. Bonita Lighthouse at the tip of the Bay. I've seen some really beautiful shots of it thru the years. Check out a few of these links:

http://pixdaus.com/single.php?id=275315

http://www.flickr.com/photos/badwine/57931035/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miamigo1/5406774404/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miamigo1/5414982906/in/photostream/

Yeah, it would be fun to meetup and do some night photography there. I actually stayed in the park with my son at the Marin Headlands Hostel. We planned to shoot the sunrise the next morning. But a last minute rain storm rolled through.