Options

Business cards for the non business

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited October 17, 2011 in The Big Picture
I don't do photography as a business, and I don't have plans to. For me its a hobby and I hate to spoil the fun of it by turning it into work.

However, if somebody handed me an opportunity to make a little side cash, or sell a couple prints, I'd happily take that money for a new memory card, or some ink for the printer to support the hobby.

So the strange thing is, that yesterday was just one of those days that seemed to have the possibly of some interesting shoots. People just hearing from word of mouth that I do photography, they like my stuff, whatever and possibly have some opportunity for a shoot. Even as a hobbyist, I don't want to turn down a shoot that could be fun, just because I don't do it professionally. If somebody was looking for a professional, they know that I'm not that guy.

So anyway, now that I've burdened you with my thoughts, I come down to the question. Does anybody ever do some type of simple "business card", just so that you could give people your contact information and maybe photo website? Or does even that give too much of the impression that you are a professional? Or do you not think that it matters.

Just looking to get some thoughts from others. I was almost thinking that if I did a simple contact card, I could even put "Amateur Photography" right on it the card, so there is no confusion.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Does anybody ever do some type of simple "business card", just so that you could give people your contact information and maybe photo website? Or does even that give too much of the impression that you are a professional? Or do you not think that it matters.

Moo card: image on front of something that stimulates you.
    on flip side contact info;
    Helvegr
    Hobbyist Photographer or Artist or Shooting for the Fun of it!
    email,phone #
    Website
    tom wise
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    I agree on the moo.

You can make each card with a different image, and that's a real conversation starter. People can pick the one that speaks to them, or just seeing that there's so many different ones always impresses.

Keep the back very simple. I would just put your name, email and URL. If you want to give your phone, then write it on the back of the card on a case by case basis.

Oh, and very important: I think the mini cards are the ones that are most eye-catching. They're unusual and understated.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Vista print....been using them for a few years and for the price cannot be beat....Have not had one problem weith colors or font placement or the cards being cut wrong....all is very good.....Google Vista Print $1.99 .....I did that last year and got 250 cards for 1.99 + sh....I did 10 boxes and they combined the sh for me....do not know if they still will...getting ready for new cards later this yr or 1st of 2012...so I will see then.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited October 16, 2011
    I also recommend Moo. Select some favorite images, and as DavidTO said, keep the back simple - name, website, and email contact. There is no need for a title or tag line, the cards speak for themselves.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I have used VistaPrint - download their business card template so that all your info is in the "safe" area. They often have promotions with business cards for "free" - but you will have to pay for postage. If you do go with them and you want 500 cards, just order 250 cards and go through the process - right at the end, they will offer you bonus deals if you agree within the next 10minutes - that is where they will most likely offer you more cards at a reduced price. Pay the extra for "Glossy" finish.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com