Options

Occupy Wall Street

NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
edited October 18, 2011 in Street and Documentary
I know there is a lot of pictures here but I hope you like them.

IMG0345-L.jpg

IMG0828-L.jpg

IMG0373-L.jpg

IMG0442-L.jpg

IMG0820-L.jpg

IMG0482-L.jpg

IMG0503-L.jpg

IMG0958-L.jpg

IMG0651-L.jpg

IMG0708-L.jpg

IMG0423-L.jpg

IMG0825-L.jpg

IMG0357-L.jpg

IMG0858-L.jpg

IMG0765-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    WoW. Thanks for the photos! Out here in no TV land I don't get to see such real world things.
    tom wise
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    In the spirit of constructive criticism, you need to edit down more...
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    What do you mean, less pictures or less processing?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    What do #3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 say? What are the focus? Is there any message besides some news reportage or pictures of the signs?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    I'm just trying to capture the mood not relay their messages. I'm more focused on the different characters.

3- I love the 'Fro. reminds of of 60's radicals.
    4- The topless protester capturing the attention of the crowd.
    5- the women wearing the army helmet and gear holding up the peace sign.
    6- I'm sure you've seen this guy down there. Been in this costume for a while. I like his character.
    8- You've probably seen this character holding court in the drum section.
    9- shows how some people feel so strongly about this that they will also have their children join the protest.

You're probably right, I could have edited down the amount of pics. That's kind of what I said in my original post.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    Just MHO, and really depends on how you want to proceed photographically speaking. Show only best, edit and edit. I was there for 4 days and took ~1500 pics. I show 13 on my website, and probably should have shown only 8 or 9. I have another set of half dozen that tells a different story, so I will use those later. But in the end, it's your photos, so do as you will.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2011
    I understand. no offense taken. Thanks.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    ok, I must admit that I'm not really commenting on the "occupy wall street" posts, not because of the political stance but because I'm green with envy and selfloathing for not going down there myself to shoot.
    I like this post so much that I had to comment.
    I know the conversion should likely be the least of it, but it's so beautifully converted that it's candy to my eyes.
    I like the signs that you have captured, the message some people have as well as the mood of the place.

#4, I've seen that lady many many times now from the front, I like what you did here shooting her from the back with the crowd who is half oblivious to her. I like the way she seems to be taking in the crowd.

Likely there are too many shots, but I like so many of them that I am glad you shared them, but I did find myself scrolling down quickly the first time and had to slow myself down and start again.
    I know it's very hard to ween your images down to a few somedays. I think I've learned to do this, but sometimes I get carried away myself.

OH man I can't believe I haven't gone yet! Kicking myself as I write this!!!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    This could have been five shots, or added another five shots and still be exactly what I as a viewer wanted to see - what all the hoopla is about. From that perspective, the number of images is irrelevant as the excellent content and presentation is different in all of them thus bringing the 'story' to me. Isn't that essence of Photo Journalism?

I now have a much better feel for what is going on, the mood, and atmosphere. From one person who isn't on location and sitting 2,200 miles away, I feel as though I was actually there due to the variety, quantity and quality of the images.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2011
    Liz, you do have to get down there to feel the energy and vibe of whats going on. I hope it lasts. and Thank you..

Scott, Thank you.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    This is a wonderful series. Lot of photos, but every one worthy of posting and telling a slightly different part of the story. And each is well done and well processed.

#3 Angela Davis comes to mind...

#8 immediately brought "The Warriors" movie to mind...

#9, Liz should be laying on the ground getting a photo of the kid and showing those other snapshooters how good street is done. And you would have posted that photo wondering who she was... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2011
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I've been out of the country for the last 3 weeks and it looks like I have some catching up to do. Thanks for the help. Your pics do convey a sense of a sense of the event.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    For Nmahooch and Richardman - Namahooch, Richard is correct that this group of images needs editing, but not for the reasons he suggests. :-) You've got some terrific images here, and some that are shot from too far away and are too amorphous. And if you have to explain them - i.e., your list telling us why you like various images - they're not good enough. But many of these, including 1, 2, 7, 10, 13, 14, and 15 speak loudly and clearly for themselves; nice work! And Richard man, I am puzzled by your question, "Is there any message besides some news reportage or pictures of the signs?" I assume this is news reportage! After all, this is the Street and Photo Journalism section. Namahooch went to an ongoing news event and came back with his take on it. And photos of signs are fine, as long as either the photo, or the group of photos, places the signs in context - and these photos do that. But an edit? Absolutely. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 17, 2011
    I think this is a fine set of pics and it doesn't bother me in the least that there are many. With the possible exception of #5, they all show a different aspect of the story. A newspaper photo editor could pick and choose as space permits, but increasingly we get our news from the Web and most newspaper Web sites now include slideshows with dozens of pics for major events.

Keep us updated. If the Madrid demonstrations of last spring are any example, the mass media will lose interest long before the demonstrations cease.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    By the way - keep an eye on HuffingtonPost later today for some terrific work by Philadelphia photographer Kyle Cassidy, who shot the book "Armed America: Portraits of Gun Owners in Their Homes." He's done a large series of formal portraits of NYC OWS protesters, each holding a sign of his or her choosing, and each portrait is accompanied by a quote from the person explaining why they chose to participate in the protest. It's a terrific gallery.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I think this is a fine set of pics and it doesn't bother me in the least that there are many. With the possible exception of #5, they all show a different aspect of the story. A newspaper photo editor could pick and choose as space permits, but increasingly we get our news from the Web and most newspaper Web sites now include slideshows with dozens of pics for major events.

Keep us updated. If the Madrid demonstrations of last spring are any example, the mass media will lose interest long before the demonstrations cease.

Re the Madrid demonstrations, Richard, I believe you're wrong on this one. Not to go political on you - and I will try to keep my mouth shut after this rolleyes1.gif - I believe we are witnessing the beginning of something with the potential to grow to the size and influence of the anti-war demonstrations during the Vietnam War era as more and more Americans wake up to what has been happening to the country - and to them - over the past two decades. And rather than hyping this movement, the media has, to a shocking degree, been undercovering it until quite recently. But you may prove to be right in the end - time will tell.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    ... the mass media will lose interest long before the demonstrations cease.

Actually, the demonstrations will cease shortly after the mass media lose interest.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    Just MHO, and really depends on how you want to proceed photographically speaking. Show only best, edit and edit. I was there for 4 days and took ~1500 pics. I show 13 on my website, and probably should have shown only 8 or 9. I have another set of half dozen that tells a different story, so I will use those later. But in the end, it's your photos, so do as you will.

Good points, Richard. The most important thing an artist ever learns is when to stop.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    ...And Richard man, I am puzzled by your question, "Is there any message besides some news reportage or pictures of the signs?" I assume this is news reportage! After all, this is the Street and Photo Journalism section. Namahooch went to an ongoing news event and came back with his take on it. And photos of signs are fine, as long as either the photo, or the group of photos, places the signs in context - and these photos do that. But an edit? Absolutely. :-)

Hi BD, may be my perception is biased :-) I was in NYC doing a workshop with David Alan Harvey and he wanted us to break through the simple "photographs of signs" and other like. I suppose the problem is that when you are like me, who spent 5 days down there and actually read coverage and look at photos at boingboing.net etc, I do want to see more than just news coverage. I see signs, I made signs. Thousands of people with cellphone cams took and are taking pictures of signs. Yes, they are funny and poignant, but I expect more :-)
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Actually, the demonstrations will cease shortly after the mass media lose interest.

Actually, the interesting thing is how the demonstrations have built and spread with shockingly little coverage. They were virtually ignored by the media until the NYPD helped the movement out by arresting 700 people on the Brooklyn Bridge. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    I have been down there a few days a week since this started. It's funny how many photographers have become street shooters because of the protests. I think it's great but you have to get in there with the people, not just stand on the outside looking in. You need to interact. I am not just taking simple "photographs of signs". I look at this as street art. I am capturing the people, regardless of what their sign reads. It is not just what you shoot, it's how you shoot it. If you are in a spot with 5 other photographers shooting the same thing, most of your pictures will look just like everybody else's.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Nmahooch wrote: »
    I have been down there a few days a week since this started. It's funny how many photographers have become street shooters because of the protests. I think it's great but you have to get in there with the people, not just stand on the outside looking in. You need to interact. I am not just taking simple "photographs of signs". I look at this as street art. I am capturing the people, regardless of what their sign reads. It is not just what you shoot, it's how you shoot it. If you are in a spot with 5 other photographers shooting the same thing, most of your pictures will look just like everybody else's.

Nelson, you are sounding a bit defensive, so I will back off, but of course you are right. So show us more of what you are talking about!~