Options

First time family portrait

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited October 13, 2011 in People
I could really use some additional feedback on doing a family portrait. The client had a specific location and time of day when this would work for them which was far from ideal (desire for the pond area where there was no shade whatsoever after the sun was up pretty far -- 10:30am). So I opted for using the sun as rim light and dumping a bunch of light in from the front (high camera left). I think I needed to have the ambient stopped down a bit more and the aperture a bit more shut (f/8 instead of f/4 or 6.3). I had a narrow spit of land to work on so I couldn't be too far back, so the focal length is slightly wide (45mm FF). Grandma was ill to top it off. Getting three three-year-olds to look in a common direction was a challenge so kudo's to all you family 'togs who make it look easy!! :bow :bow :bow

Grandma wanted a kids and grandkids around her in a seat as the look. Found a nice chair at a consignment shop that was deeply discounted and will make a great prop... Brought along a blanket as well that was great for some of the smaller group shots. Grandpa (ex) showed up and wanted a shot as well (that was kinda interesting...). All final images are composites (if the kids all looked good, it was a parent messing it up...).

1. With grandma
20111009-1015-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

2. With grandpa. I need to go back, I think, and see if I can get the daughter on the left not stooped over.
20111009-1024-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

3. Grandpa just with the grandkids
20111009-1033-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

4. Grandma with the GK's. This was GM's best look of the day. I really felt for her.
20111009-1050-Edit-XL.jpg

5. Family 1... The dog had just licked her in the face and made her cry...
20111009-1060-Edit-XL.jpg

6. Family 2...
20111009-1069-Edit-XL.jpg

7. Do you think it works in the cross-processed mode?
20111009-1069-Edit-2-XL.jpg

Thank you for looking and for any feedback in posing, setup, processing, etc... We had a window of about 20-30 minutes before the kids were toast.

Grandma is still sick so I haven't sat with her. She likes what she's been shown, though.
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Not as easy as it looks!

Overall a good effort with so many variables. #4 is the clear winner here. I suspect Grandma will love it. The kids all look good and the composition is nice. Should make a great, large wall hanger.

Any tension when gramps showed up?
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    All from Gma, who was feeling like crap to begin with... She set this up and somehow it 'leaked' and he wanted in...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site