Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    2nd one is Wierd :D
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I'm probably feeling cranky today - but I am offended by the caption - the photos are fine. (Oh, and I though I am very nominally Jewish, I have never practiced, am not religious in any way. I just think there is something tacky about equating a bunch of post-its to Steve Jobs with the Wailing Wall.)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I'm probably feeling cranky today - but I am offended by the caption - the photos are fine. (Oh, and I though I am very nominally Jewish, I have never practiced, am not religious in any way. I just think there is something tacky about equating a bunch of post-its to Steve Jobs with the Wailing Wall.)

No that's not cranky.
    It was actually exactly what I thought when 1st viewing but decided not to start a ...............
    and just comment on the image.

I'm sure the OP meant nothing by the Title and was caught up in Mr. Jobs recent passing.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    No that's not cranky.
    It was actually exactly what I thought when 1st viewing but decided not to start a ...............
    and just comment on the image.

I'm sure the OP meant nothing by the Title and was caught up in Mr. Jobs recent passing.

I'm sure you are correct. And as I said, I am feeling cranky. But a different title might be the better part of valor. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Hmmm... I'm comfortable with the title

I don't get get why people would post stuff on a wall or chant at a wall for hundreds of years.

But that's just me, I just took a pj shot

If you take umbrage, that's your problem
    Rags
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 18, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    Unless you have been living under a rock all your life, you should understand that many people in the world are sensitive about religion. You are not obliged to respect that or them, of course, but what goes around comes around.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Hmmm... I'm comfortable with the title

I don't get get why people would post stuff on a wall or chant at a wall for hundreds of years.

But that's just me, I just took a pj shot

Hmmm.. That's to bad.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Okay, then if you don't care who you offend, Torags, I guess I shouldn't either. So I'll just tell you that I think these are two crappy, under exposed images, neither of which give any indication they have anything to do with Steve Jobs or wailing walls. And I can't understand why anyone would post them.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited October 19, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Unless you have been living under a rock all your life, you should understand that many people in the world are sensitive about religion. You are not obliged to respect that or them, of course, but what goes around comes around.
    Okay, then if you don't care who you offend, Torags, I guess I shouldn't either. So I'll just tell you that I think these are two crappy, under exposed images, neither of which give any indication they have anything to do with Steve Jobs or wailing walls. And I can't understand why anyone would post them.

That's more like it bj, I can take that; not a civil religious admonition

Why did I post? I don't know any better

Sorry it didn't pass your muster, thanks for looking.

Religious sensitivity? It has come around....

That got a Danish movie maker assassinated and a Danish cartoonist on somebodies hit list; don't believe me? ask Salman Rushdie and those just come to mind now.

If some want to practice a religious franchise to make them a better more humane people I encourage that, but to respect that sensitivity on the level of this image title - is absurd
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2011
    No, Torags, religious and cultural insanity is what you're talking about. General civility and sensitivity is what keeps the world, and web communities such as this, on track. Do you really think that if you insult people and then tell them to flip off it turns you into Salman Rushdie? It doesn't - to be Salman Rushdie you need intelligence and talent, and...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited October 19, 2011
    No, Torags, religious and cultural insanity is what you're talking about. General civility and sensitivity is what keeps the world, and web communities such as this, on track. Do you really think that if you insult people and then tell them to flip off it turns you into Salman Rushdie? It doesn't - to be Salman Rushdie you need intelligence and talent, and...

Hmmm... nice. Let me remind you, I didn't sign up for your lecture.

Ahhh... you're just saying that stuff because you don't like me.... c'mon fess up.....

But let me respond. I never said I was Salman Rushdie. Reading apprehension was a requirement when you worked at the Globe wasn't it?

As far as talent goes, you'll have to ask some of the people who paid millions for houses I designed and built, they have opinions of my work.
    Rags
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Hmmm... nice. Let me remind you, I didn't sign up for your lecture.

Ahhh... you're just saying that stuff because you don't like me.... c'mon fess up.....

But let me respond. I never said I was Salman Rushdie. Reading apprehension was a requirement when you worked at the Globe wasn't it?

As far as talent goes, you'll have to ask some of the people who paid millions for houses I designed and built, they have opinions of my work.

Rags, BD is the "Artist in Residence," so it is his rights to critique your photographs in that sense. I'm pretty far from being Jewish as I am Chinese in ancestry, but I do think that your attitude is a bit much, IMHO. I live in California since 1993 so I know this is not a Californian thing either, may be a wild west thing, may be :-)

Your talent in architecture design may be immense. We personally love the Eichler design so if you are one of those architects who resonances with this sort of design, I'd love to talk to you - after we make our millions (which may be a while). However, that talent may or may not translate to your photographic ability.

A little respect goes a long way, just saying.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    Rags, BD is the "Artist in Residence," so it is his rights to critique your photographs in that sense. I'm pretty far from being Jewish as I am Chinese in ancestry, but I do think that your attitude is a bit much, IMHO. I live in California since 1993 so I know this is not a Californian thing either, may be a wild west thing, may be :-)

Your talent in architecture design may be immense. We personally love the Eichler design so if you are one of those architects who resonances with this sort of design, I'd love to talk to you - after we make our millions (which may be a while). However, that talent may or may not translate to your photographic ability.

A little respect goes a long way, just saying.

Actually Richard, bd got personal, I responded in kind. I accepted his critique on the photos (as posted above)

I'm originally from NYC, so I don't take that sarcasm easily.
    Rags
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011

I'm originally from NYC, so I don't take that sarcasm easily.

OK, that makes a WHOLE lot of sense. I grew up in NYC so I understand ;-P.

BTW, going back to NY for a week long shoot is an eye opener - it has gotten so much safer. I don't feel threatened at all with a camera on me even at 2AM in the morning. Heck, I was typically the only person jaywalking (learned it in NY and now it's like "what are you guys waiting for?") :-)

Nevertheless, Internet is not like NYC. There's a reason why I do like my suburbia life :-)
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2011
    OK, everyone. I think this tempest in a teapot has gone far enough. Let's get back to photography, please. deal.gif
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Richard wrote: »

How can a person who has never practiced nor is not religious, take umbrage with anything religious? I can understand how someone who is an adherent of Judaism could have a problem with the title but even then, ain't it great that in this great country we can say what we want?
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    Hinson wrote: »
    How can a person who has never practiced nor is not religious, take umbrage with anything religious? I can understand how someone who is an adherent of Judaism could have a problem with the title but even then, ain't it great that in this great country we can say what we want?
    I'd be happy to explain this, but I asked above that we return to photography. Please respect that.