Options

Lost in thought

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited October 18, 2011 in Street and Documentary
smugshot3752912-L.jpg
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    YES!!!
    yes and yes.

Well done sir.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2011
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    Great shot, would be even better without the caption.

Last night I was perusing an older volume of Elliott Erwitt's work. One powerful image after the other. The only text offered was location and date, leaving room for the image to do all the talking.

This is a great photo and definitely does not need a caption.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »

This is a great photo and definitely does not need a caption.

In fact, it would be a great photo in a "make up a caption" contest... rolleyes1.gif

Nicely seen and a wonderful shot!
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    It's an excellent shot, Synco. It'd be an even better shot if there were enough of the surroundings -- a door, a window, or something -- to give it a sense of place. If you check the work of Henri Cartier-Bresson, Walker Evans, Andre Kertesz, Elliott Erwitt, Marc Riboud, Robert Frank, or any of the other great street photographers you'll see that their best shots always placed their subjects in recognizable surroundings.
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    I think you captured a latter day Thelma and Louise planning a bank heist.
    Great shot, what ever their up to.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    Great moment. Definitly a decicive moment. I'd crop it a bit tighter (top left) to deemphasize the background.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Thanks for the comments.

I studied the two ladies for a while hoping that I'd capture just this sort of shot. A case of perseverance being rewarded.
    It'd be an even better shot if there were enough of the surroundings
    I'd crop it a bit tighter (top left) to deemphasize the background
    As to how to treat the surroundings/background I'll bear it in mind but clearly it can't be both headscratch.gifD
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Thanks for the comments.

I studied the two ladies for a while hoping that I'd capture just this sort of shot. A case of perseverance being rewarded.

As to how to treat the surroundings/background I'll bear it in mind but clearly it can't be both headscratch.gifD

Your right.

I would of gone with more surroundings for context.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Thanks for the comments.

Either way the way it is is not optimal. The brick wall doesn't look very interesting thats why I suggested to get rid of it. The other poster might have thought that if you include more background something else will come into the frame reducing the otherwise boring background.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I've been looking at this one for a while. The expressions and relationship between the two women is interesting, but somehow the image doesn't sit well for me.

Instead of discussing whether more background v. less would improve it, my view is that the composition is too static, too passive. It actually takes away from the dynamic, or lack there of, between the subjects. Some tension in the form of another compositional element (have you looked at the previous challenge, Three? There are only two elements in this shot) or possibly placing the subjects in a position that is counter to standard compositional rules would have drawn me in more.