Autumn Bearded Collie

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 16, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Our brown Bearded Collie, Cooper, at 7 months. I think we need to call it "Beardieflage" - he's so well blended in it's like Where's Waldo or something :rofl

i-dhxp6v8-L.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    Beautiful dog :D I'd never heard of a Bearded Collie.

Your right .. he does blend in. Rake up a pile of leaves and he'd be hard to see sitting in it.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    The black/gray ones are more common than the browns/fawns, but they come in all varieties. Wonderful, friendly, outgoing breed - once you've had one (this guy is our 3rd) it's hard to go back to any other!

His coat isn't actually quite that yellow/red, but the bright, bright midday sun makes it seem so - was a gorgeous day today :D
    edited October 15, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    The black/gray ones are more common than the browns/fawns, but they come in all varieties. Wonderful, friendly, outgoing breed - once you've had one (this guy is our 3rd) it's hard to go back to any other!

His coat isn't actually quite that yellow/red, but the bright, bright midday sun makes it seem so - was a gorgeous day today :D

I looked up the breed after seeing your post. Seems like a wonderful companion. They're like Goldens .. once you've had them .... hard getting anything else :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    I was a black lab and/or Flatcoat Retriever gal before my husband introduced me to Beardies and I was smitten by a 3.5 week old black and white boy - they are without question THE most adorable puppies (only rivalled by Bernese pups, and I say that as somebody who loves the Golden "duck fuzz" stage too iloveyou.gif). They look like fluffy stuffed toys - and very little like their adult selves - until they're about 4 months old:

i-bb2zTxp-L.jpg

Of course, that "cute fluffiness" grows up to be a high energy, hardworking dog. Beardies are sort of intelligent clowns - imagine a Border Collie in a fur coat and with a sense of humour, and you have a good idea what they're like! They're more independent and more easily distracted than Border Collies (although as intelligent) but they're also not quite as OCD lol. Great breed, and wonderful family dogs if you don't mind the long coat and the energy (they do need to run - they were bred to work long hard hours and have tons of stamina!) :)
    edited October 16, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    I was a black lab and/or Flatcoat Retriever gal before my husband introduced me to Beardies and I was smitten by a 3.5 week old black and white boy - they are without question THE most adorable puppies (only rivalled by Bernese pups, and I say that as somebody who loves the Golden "duck fuzz" stage too iloveyou.gif). They look like fluffy stuffed toys - and very little like their adult selves - until they're about 4 months old:

i-bb2zTxp-L.jpg

Of course, that "cute fluffiness" grows up to be a high energy, hardworking dog. Beardies are sort of intelligent clowns - imagine a Border Collie in a fur coat and with a sense of humour, and you have a good idea what they're like! They're more independent and more easily distracted than Border Collies (although as intelligent) but they're also not quite as OCD lol. Great breed, and wonderful family dogs if you don't mind the long coat and the energy (they do need to run - they were bred to work long hard hours and have tons of stamina!) :)

I can see how you fell in love with this breed :D As for hair .. I swear Golden's shed enough each day to knit a sweater with rolleyes1.gif

We're a 2 dog family with one dog now. When we go back to 2 dogs again we'll be looking closely at this breed. Should be fun with a Golden and a Bearded Collie in the family. For now we're letting Ty live out her old age with just us. Hard to do, but know it's best for her.