Options

20D underwater

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited October 21, 2005 in Cameras
Ok, in February I am going back to Maui on vacation but obviously I am going to be taking pictures. One of the things I really want to get shots of is turtles underwater. I know the locations to go to and I know I will need an underwater housing of some sort, but what else is recommended? What kind of lens is recommended?

Comments

• Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Ok, in February I am going back to Maui on vacation but obviously I am going to be taking pictures. One of the things I really want to get shots of is turtles underwater. I know the locations to go to and I know I will need an underwater housing of some sort, but what else is recommended? What kind of lens is recommended?
    Hi Bones,
    I'm no expert here, but recently I did some searching for just what you are looking for. First, sticker shock. If you won't be using it regularly, then think a less expensive route. The 20D cases were running around $1500 or more if I recall right. Some of the users preferred wide angle lenses because most shots will be up close. You lose a lot of light power in water. The flash units will run a pretty penny too. I decided that I'll buy a 35mm film camera good to 70 feet from Ritz or somewhere for $100.

Just my recent experience,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 20, 2005
    Hey Bones,

You might find you get a better response over at wetpixel.com

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    How about the one time use cameras that can be used for snorkling? They work well and can be found at Walmart for around $10.00. Took a few to Mexico and worked well. Not National Geographic but acceptable.
    Another thought is the old Niknos ( sp?), may find one used for a good price, and works well as a regular camera.
    Bob