Options

A short walk around the Hayling LNR

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited October 18, 2011 in Wildlife
Here are some of the images I took yesterday on a one hour stroll around the Local Nature Reserve.
The tide was rising and at the end of the walk was at its high water point. Beautiful day with plenty of sun:).
I parked at the car park closest to the road bridge and followed the Hayling Billy trail (For those interested, a google map of the area appears here[/URL]. Use the up pointer on the map until the road bridge is visible.)
After a double bend, the trail joins the alignment of the old Hayling Branch line. The field to the left is marshy and a favourite spot for Egrets, Seagulls, Kestrel, Woodpeckers etc. On this occasion, a single Black-headed Gull was feeding in the drainage streams.
PA157762-L.jpg

On the opposite side of the trail, the shoreline of Langstone Harbour is visible behing a low embankment. A few Herring Gull were busily feeding on crab arriving with the incoming tide.
PA157771-L.jpg

A Robin was singing its heart out on top of a shrub along the trail. The joy of the sunshine after several days of gloomy, overcast conditions was something to be celebrated no doubt.
PA157767-L.jpg

The marsh in the field on the left becomes a dry meadow to the south. Cattle were graizing in this part of the field. This is one confused bullock or the tale that cattle lay down when they anticipate rain is wrong.
i-zLjr93B-L.jpg

A Kestrel appeared for a short time over the meadow. Hunting for voles or mice. This time it went without catching anything and moved on, out of sight.
PA157840-L.jpg

The area became quiet except for the noise of a Royal Navy helecopter passing overhead. This may account for the disappearance of the Kestrel.
PA157783-L.jpg

Butterflies were plentiful, mainly Red Admirals. I was delighted to see this Common Blue in the meadow. I have not seen these for some time.
PA157835-L.jpg

I checked for the Little owl in the next field to the left but unfortunately it was not in sight. I then took the spur path from the Hayling Billy Trail to the Oysterbed lagoon. A Black-headed Gull was stationed at the north weir, checking what was being brought in by the incoming tide.
PA157790-L.jpg

In the lagoon were shoals of young fish. A reminder of why this location is so succesful for the Tern. The fish are attracted to the shoreline to feed amongst the now flooded vegetation.
PA157823-L.jpg

Heading north, away from the Oysterbed lagoon, a Cormorant flew past, beyond the outer bunds. It will be looking for shoals of fish coming into the shallows.
PA157779-L.jpg

A immature Herring Gull also flew past.
PA157814-L.jpg

as did a Little Egret.
PA157801-L.jpg

I then re-joined the Hayling Billy Trail and made my way back to he car.

Hope you enjoy these.

Comments

• Options
    LiveLikeLizPhotosLiveLikeLizPhotos Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Looks like an amazing place to go. Nice pictures.
    :)
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Looks like an amazing place to go. Nice pictures.
    :)

Thank you for your reply and comments.

Langstone Harbour (and Chchester Harbour) are really great places for wildlife. Vast expanses of mud flats that are flooded with each incoming tide. Plenty of food throughout the food chain from molluscs to Birds of Prey. They are also on the migratory route for birds in passage.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Love that kestrel capture
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Love that kestrel capture

Thank you Harry.