Options

Veteran for Peace at Occupy Boston

2»

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    If he belongs to a group called Veterans for Peace, then I think you can accurately call him a Veteran for Peace regardless of his actual veteran status. But then that opens a whole nother can of worms as to whether he is really and truly a member of Veterans for Peace. :D

And keep posting, OP! I have learned a lot since joining Dgrin.
  • Options
    ChesterJackChesterJack Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Here are a few of the shots I took at Occupy Boston this past Saturday.

Again did not mean to create all this discussion. Just wanted to add to a couple of shots someone else had posted.

Hopefully these will give you all a better sense of what was going on. None of my shots have been edited yet and likely a few could have benefited from some cropping..

Enjoy..
    "Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart, cause I can hear it beat out loud" Robert Hunter
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Here are a few of the shots I took at Occupy Boston this past Saturday.

Again did not mean to create all this discussion. Just wanted to add to a couple of shots someone else had posted.

Hopefully these will give you all a better sense of what was going on. None of my shots have been edited yet and likely a few could have benefited from some cropping..

Enjoy..

Pic #2
    "Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart, cause I can hear it beat out loud" Robert Hunter
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Pic #2

Pic #3
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Pic #3

Pic #4
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Pic #4

Pic #5
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Richard, You're probably right. ChesterJack simply shot a picture and accepted the "veteran" at face value. Most people would do the same thing. But there are a lot of real veterans out there who won't accept at face value the claims of somebody dressed like this guy. He may very well be legitimate, but there are thousands of people out there who claim to be veterans, yet never served in the armed forces, or worse, who claim to be combat veterans who either never served or never left the U.S. Unfortunately, journalists love phony Vietnam vets who show up at demonstrations like this one, telling about their problems with Agent Orange or PTS. I can only conclude that there aren't any other vets on "Street & PJ," because I turned out to be the only voice that was, as you put it, "irresponsible." If you want to get an idea of how widespread the problem is, and why veterans, to be polite, "react negatively" to this kind of crap, read Stolen Valor. If you've never served, you may not be able to make real contact with this book, but it's worth a try to expand your horizons.

BS. I served two years in Vietnam and ran vets outreach offices for a number of years. I have attended demonstartions of all political persuasions where vets took part. I have yet to run across any "phony" vets. I have counselled many vets who suffered from PTS and the affects of Agent Orange. I currently receive VA disability benefits due to my exposure to Agent Orange. There is no widespread problem of phony vets running around and attending demonstrations. Stolen Valor is a self published book with questionable methodology and a definite political slant.

Finally as I said before your objections here come solely from your own political slant. They are in no way related to photography or PJ. This discussion is now ended.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Thanks fr posting the additional pictures ChesterJack. They do convey a sense of what the demo was about and the diversity of the participants.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Pic #3

This one of the people in speedos is bizarre.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Pic #4

I like this one. It is not just another crowd shot.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Hey ChesterJack,

No need to apologize--you did nothing wrong (other than not include the sign in the shot mwink.gif). Keep shooting and keep posting. thumb.gif

Absolutely!thumb.gifthumb
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    hey everyone I really apologize if my post and characterization of it has caused any disagreement here. Certainly not my intent. I asked the man if he was a Verteran and he indicated that he was. He was carrying a flag that said Verterans For Peace as were about a dozen other older guys who all appeared to be veterans and were circling the white pick up truck.

The reason for the ear plugs was we were directly in front of the pick up truck that had huge loudspeakers on them and the speakers were using them when the march arrived at Dewey Square in Boston. It was so loud that I eventually moved away from them.

I have a bunch of other shots related to the events on saturday that I will post tonight to provide better context of what was actually happening there. I took a coupe of hundred and wound up with maybe a dozen that I think are any good. But it was a great deal of fun!! And you are all right that more shots really tell the whole story.

Please understand that I am NOT a photojournalist but rather just a 54 year old guy who works hard Monday through Friday and jumps out of bed every saturday and sunday at first light to just go out and find opportunities to take shots. I admire all the photographers who post on here as they post with such a level of quality that I can only hope to aspire to.

As you can see from my ID informaiton I have made 10 posts in total so far.. I do not deny I am intimidated posting on here and I will continue to make my fair share of mistakes until I finally do figure it out. Please be patient with me as I am really trying. I welcome all the feedback as it will make me better.

Thanks

Please understand, my question about journalism experience was Not directed at you, but rather was directed at the person questioning you so intensely. Keep doing what you're doing.clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed