Options

Weird 20D behaviour or operator error ?

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
edited October 22, 2005 in Cameras
Hi All,

I was out last night taking some night shots with my 20D, and decided to play with some custom functions.

So I enabled both 'Long exposure noise reduction' and 'Mirror lockup'. After doing this, whatever I took an exposure I heard the shutter open and close, but nothing seemed to get written to the card and no preview.

To be honest, I haven't read the manual in regard to these functions and it is quite possibly operator error.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

David
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Any ideas ?

Thanks,

David

MLU requires two presses of the shutter. one to raise the mirror, and one to take the photograph. are you pushing your remote twice? ear.gif
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    MLU requires two presses of the shutter. one to raise the mirror, and one to take the photograph. are you pushing your remote twice? ear.gif
    At time, I didn't know that, not sure if I did press it multiple times or not.

What would be the result, if you happen to press the preview button, before pressing the remote for the second time. Would that cancel the exposure ?

Also, I had bracketing enabled as well.

Thanks Andy.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    problemchildproblemchild Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi All,

I was out last night taking some night shots with my 20D, and decided to play with some custom functions.

So I enabled both 'Long exposure noise reduction' and 'Mirror lockup'. After doing this, whatever I took an exposure I heard the shutter open and close, but nothing seemed to get written to the card and no preview.

To be honest, I haven't read the manual in regard to these functions and it is quite possibly operator error.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

David
    When I use MLU I set the timer to 2 seconds. Gets rid of all vibration.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    When I use MLU I set the timer to 2 seconds. Gets rid of all vibration.

:nono not on the 20d you don't
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    I did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago David, I'm sure more than a few people have done this before. I guess it really does pay to read the whole manual at least couple times.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto