Options

1st time as second as second shooter

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited October 21, 2011 in Weddings
Well I REALLY REALLY liked being the second shooter!!! I did it for just $10 an hour to get my feet wet. This is the way to go for me !!!! My "boss" was about 23 yrs old, and I warned her I was NOT going to be able to leap tall buildings like she would be.... and I think she thought I was taking a break when she couldn't see me, but I was either sitting and changing a lens etc, or shooting something around the corner. Here are a few of my favorites with my own touch added only to my personal copies.
I love how the background building on the left looks a little like a chalet or gingerbread house, it is called the Cottage and it is for the cake and dancing etc.

i-dvwSg8p-L.jpg
1. I love the grandmother's hand with the little 4 yr old bride's daughter.

i-bgHzpD8-L.jpg
2. child of the wedding couple, so cute!

i-f9sq5jv-L.jpg

i-Gw2L5VP-L.jpg
4. As Andrew B says... future so bright....I gotta wear shades !

i-J8gLcvT-L.jpg

i-STG5pV9-L.jpg
6. yup, love being able to look for this while the main shooter has to do all the group stuff!!

i-hB4SRtn-L.jpg
7. Gosh am I just drawn to kids or what??

PLEASE look at just a few more here, the last one is a real hoot !!!:rofl
http://cottageink.smugmug.com/Proofs/SECOND-SHOOTER/19592293_7rwQjK
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    wow that last shot is gorgeous! well done overall
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I think you did good for your first time seconding. Being a second allows the creative juices to flow a little more and I personally enjoy seconding for this reason =less pressure! :)

Just a little tip, for moving people, I would never shoot slower than 1/60th and even thats pushing it unless your going for the shutter drag. Also, I noticed you were shooting 1600ISO at 1/3000th, even outside in sunlight. I always try to shoot as low as ISO as possible, you never know when your going to capture that wall hanger and anything over 1200 on my 5D is waaay too noisy for larger prints.

I think you did an excellent job and looking forward to seeing more!! Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I actually just looked at more of your work and realized, you dont need any advice. Your work is fabulous!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Ahhhhhh.... you just made my day!!! lolol It is a MIRACLE I even did as well as I did... I was on autopilot.....

. My 59 yr old husband was just diagnosed out of the blue with Alzheimer's, and by "coincidence" lost his job the following day. I put our house on the market before it could be foreclosed on because now we could not make a deadline payment and it sold in TWO DAYS! We are in the middle of moving in with our oldest daughter while we file for disability, and I refused to let that interfere with my commitment but I had no idea how my stuff would turn out.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
  • Options
    mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Nice work, I really like #7! Sorry to hear about all the difficulties you're going through, but it sounds like you're coming out strong, and it clearly didn't impact your ability to capture some great moments!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    The images look good, but I'm going to say that it looks like you're a little too heavy-handed with the noise reduction. The images look a little too "digital-y" smooth. But, that's mostly just a personal taste...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Thanks Matt, I see what you mean. Thank you EVERYONE!!! bowdown.gif I appreciate the encouragement and the tips on how my images could be better. You are all part of my mental health lifeline, if I didn't have photography in my life right now I might be truly nuts!

The good part about moving is that I found my lost monopod, I honestly cannot live without it. The day of this wedding I picked up a cheap $15.00 version as an emergency replacement. It was sooooo bad that at the end of the night I couldn't find where I left it, and I didn't even care, I left it.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    klickingkatklickingkat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    You might want to check your settings for your gallery. I can see original and right click is not disabled. Don't make it so easy for someone to take it.
    Sony A300 28-200 Tameron
    Sony A300 70-200 f/2.8 Sony
    Sony A100 75-300 4.5-5.6
    Sony A100 18-70 3.5-5.6
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Thanks Kat, I just took care of it. thumb.gif
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Some great moments there, Trudy - well done!

Sorry to hear about all you're going through. It's probably not much consolation at the moment, but really - you can (should) charge, and charge "for real". Your work is beautiful - there is no reason at all to undervalue it iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Ha! I don't see that fab 70-200 in the EXIF! Aint it nice to be able to leave that ISO up there and not have a worry about the noise? Coulda used a tad more on #3 just to get that Shutter speed up. And yes, kids! Hard not to watch them, follow their antics, and get lost in the space.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Ha! I don't see that fab 70-200 in the EXIF! Aint it nice to be able to leave that ISO up there and not have a worry about the noise? Coulda used a tad more on #3 just to get that Shutter speed up. And yes, kids! Hard not to watch them, follow their antics, and get lost in the space.

Hahaha the part about losing my monopod and using an el cheapo from Walmart explains why my old shoulders opted NOT to use it this time. I haven't even had time to play with it !!
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    I really like the light in #7, beautiful set.