Still no decision made...help!

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited October 21, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Still not made final choice for my Mono Competition. Competition is Wednesday, so need my title sorted by Weds morning at the latest!

This Ruby shot is in:

6223115368_cb73482593_b.jpg

But I need a second. I came to look at the duck again, but realised it wasn't good quality...pixellated and blocked up whites and so on. So, more choices. ONE of these...

6254727903_6b02e074c5_b.jpg

6255221662_d503f47dea_b.jpg

6254675949_cd0315fb51_b.jpg

6238840394_076ffb067e_b.jpg

6239039680_258dcf1fed_b.jpg

Help!

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I'd vote for the Lizard!
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    OrvSal wrote: »
    I'd vote for the Lizard!

Thanks. :)
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I'd go for the man on the platform. It has a lot of rich tones and a story. The more you look at it, the more it becomes engaging. Good luck, mate. Cheers.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    i'd go for the man on the platform. It has a lot of rich tones and a story. The more you look at it, the more it becomes engaging. Good luck, mate. Cheers.

^ x 2
    Y.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I like the lizard because you nailed the eye and skin texture. Processing is beautifully done!

I like the guy on the platform, but the monotone here does not jump out at you.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    My vote would be for the Lizard......thumb.gif
  • SpinneySpinney Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    yep the Lizzard by far:) tons of tone and detail from one end to the other.
    edited October 18, 2011
    I'd go for the man on the platform. It has a lot of rich tones and a story. The more you look at it, the more it becomes engaging. Good luck, mate. Cheers.

Thanks. I like this, but just as I settle on it, others come along and have other ideas...see below!
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »

^ x 2
    Y.

Thanks
    rainbow wrote: »
    I like the lizard because you nailed the eye and skin texture. Processing is beautifully done!

I like the guy on the platform, but the monotone here does not jump out at you.

Thanks...I'm not sure about the background, now....you think it's ok? No halo around his head?
    Azzaro wrote: »
    My vote would be for the Lizard......thumb.gif

Thanks. :)
    Spinney wrote: »
    yep the Lizzard by far:) tons of tone and detail from one end to the other.

Thank you. :)
    edited October 18, 2011
    Does this make the decision any easier? A reworked version...

6257231030_fd64823624_z.jpg
    other lizard mono 2 1080hi by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Man on platform .. that has always been my favorite thumb.gif
    edited October 18, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »

edited October 18, 2011
    damn it Dogdots, I like the second version of the lizzard even better than the first and while to me its the stand out of the group, it does not have the story or make me make ask as many questions.
    After looking at the man on the boardwalk image a little longer to try and see what you see, the longer I look at the man on the platform the more I wonder about him and where he is from and where is he going and what is he going to do when he gets there? and it goes on and on as you start to look around.

So with that said I'm going to go with the man on the board walk too! Lol sorry Bend of Light, if I added to the which do I pick confusion.
    edited October 18, 2011
    damn it Dogdots, I like the second version of the lizzard even better than the first and while to me its the stand out of the group, it does not have the story or make me make ask as many questions.
    After looking at the man on the boardwalk image a little longer to try and see what you see, the longer I look at the man on the platform the more I wonder about him and where he is from and where is he going and what is he going to do when he gets there? and it goes on and on as you start to look around.

So with that said I'm going to go with the man on the board walk too! Lol sorry Bend of Light, if I added to the which do I pick confusion.

Oh no! Now I'm more confused!!!

One point to note (and it may make a difference) is that I believe that there will be another lizard in the competition! A bigger lizard! So, do i go up against that, ir not? There are some dark lines above my lizard's legs...is that a problem?

Also...Spinney...you say that the more you look at the photo of the man on platform, the better. In the competition, the members of the club (who will be scoring) will see the image for about 10 seconds as we run through all images...then they get to see it again for a little longer, say 30 seconds or so to write down their actual scores. Is this long enough??
    edited October 18, 2011
    I would think so but I guess it depends if the judges jump for image detail or image interest, which do you think the judges will be looking for?
    edited October 18, 2011
    I would think so but I guess it depends if the judges jump for image detail or image interest, which do you think the judges will be looking for?

That's a good question ... image interest or image detail.

Still .. I love the platform one rolleyes1.gif

First thing I saw when I looked at it was desolation .. one man, big city and walking out into it. One can see it ahead of him. It was that late night kind of desolation one can feel. Then I felt fear. Being a woman the darkness and emptiness of this photo actually brought an emotion to me.

I had a lot of interest in this photo vs looking for image detail. The detail in this photo to me is all the little nooks and crannies in the shadows that lay ahead for this man and my eyes to take in.

Good Luck making your final choice .. in the end it all has to be what you like :D
    edited October 18, 2011
    That's a good question ... image interest or image detail.

Still .. I love the platform one rolleyes1.gif

First thing I saw when I looked at it was desolation .. one man, big city and walking out into it. One can see it ahead of him. It was that late night kind of desolation one can feel. Then I felt fear. Being a woman the darkness and emptiness of this photo actually brought an emotion to me.

I had a lot of interest in this photo vs looking for image detail. The detail in this photo to me is all the little nooks and crannies in the shadows that lay ahead for this man and my eyes to take in.

Good Luck making your final choice .. in the end it all has to be what you like :D

I'm not sure what they'll look for...they can be fickle sometimes! :)

Ok...final choice is in about 10 minutes...I have to print the competition entry lists. :)
    edited October 19, 2011
    Well, I made my choice, and the competition was tonight...

The Ruby shot:
    6223115368_cb73482593.jpg
    Ruby 50mm right space crop by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
    Would have come 3rd, but I wasn't allowed an image in 3rd place because the other shot I chose, the Rhea:
    6254727903_6b02e074c5.jpg
    Rhea face crop mono by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
    Came FIRST!

Cheers all. :)
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Congratulations!

And I laugh cuz of all the advice here that you disregarded between the lizard and the platform to select the winner... rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 19, 2011
    Congratulations thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    edited October 20, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    Congratulations!

And I laugh cuz of all the advice here that you disregarded between the lizard and the platform to select the winner... rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, I read between the lines. I knew you all liked the Rhea, but no one wanted to be the first to say! rolleyes1.gif
    Congratulations thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 20, 2011
    Rhea face crop mono by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
    Came FIRST!

Cheers all. :)
    :ivar :ivar Congratulations. It is an awesome shot.
    edited October 20, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    :ivar :ivar Congratulations. It is an awesome shot.

Many Thanks. :)
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    Congratulations, BTL. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
    edited October 21, 2011
    Congratulations, BTL. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif

Many thanks. :)