Arches: Balanced Rock by full moon

CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
edited October 29, 2011 in Landscapes
i-DdNMVPj-X3.jpg

Was out there for mountain biking, but brought the Leica and took an evening trip to Arches. I didn't have the cable release, so I was glad there was enough light that 32 seconds @ f/2, ISO 640 worked out OK. I think it did.

Comments

• SpinneySpinney Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    absolutely love it, makes me miss my lil Leica DLUX3:( traded it off before I started shooting alot at night, and looking back at the long exposure images I did take with it leave me in awe as not even my the 5D competes with the quality of the the files:( the Leica's just give that something extra besides the price!
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Spinney wrote: »
    absolutely love it, makes me miss my lil Leica DLUX3:( traded it off before I started shooting alot at night, and looking back at the long exposure images I did take with it leave me in awe as not even my the 5D competes with the quality of the the files:( the Leica's just give that something extra besides the price!

Thanks! Yeah, I like the Leica and its great that it's really portable in ways the 1D is not! I took it mountain biking with me for 4 days, though I had it well padded :D
  • LarryDLarryD Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Quite a different perspective..

I like it.. thumb.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    beautiful shot Bill, love the stars in the background, how big is this formation?
    edited October 26, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    beautiful shot Bill, love the stars in the background, how big is this formation?

Thanks!

I don't know the exact size of it... I'm thinking 50 to 100 feet tall (that's a fairly big range, I know ;-). I was probably 30 feet away and shot it with the 35mm on a full frame sensor and it *just * fit in the frame (no crop). So I guess it's a math problem :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
  • 08whitex08whitex Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    Awesome
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 28, 2011
    Awesome, Bill. I like everything about this shot, although might have preferred if the rock wasn't framed so tight.
    edited October 29, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome, Bill. I like everything about this shot, although might have preferred if the rock wasn't framed so tight.

Thanks!

Yes, it's a little tighter than I'd have liked, but the widest lens I have on the Leica was a 35 :D

I didn't bring the Canon as this was mostly a trip for mountain biking. Took the Leica so I could throw it in my pack when I was riding... having a 1Ds in there would have been ridiculous ;-)