Old Barns In The Appalachians

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited October 19, 2011 in Landscapes

mountains10-16-08-035-X2.jpg

mountains10-16-08-012-X2.jpg

mountains10-16-08-054-X2.jpg

mountains10-16-08-048-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    What a great series of old barns! thumb.gif

Number one for me! Lovely.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    #4 is AWESOME! I love the colors.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    What a great series of old barns! thumb.gif

Number one for me! Lovely.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind words. That #1 barn has always been a favorite of mine also.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 18, 2011
    #4 is AWESOME! I love the colors.

Thanks for the nice comment. This old barn is on my " hit list " every Fall because I know it's always going to be a beautiful setting.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Beautiful ... the colors of the trees with the oldness of the barns. They go together so nicely.

Question for you .. in the first photo .... is the barn connected to a house?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 19, 2011
    Gorgeous work, Tom. You need to hang out in Landscapes more often. deal.gif
    edited October 19, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Beautiful ... the colors of the trees with the oldness of the barns. They go together so nicely.

Question for you .. in the first photo .... is the barn connected to a house?

Hi Mary,

The house and barn may have at one time actually been connected. You can see that one end of the house is missing.....and there is a door on the end of the barn you don't see that would have led directly to the house. There is evidence in the old foundation of the house that would support the idea of the two structures having been connected. In any event, it's very unusual to see a house and barn in such close proximity to each other.

mountains10-16-08-033-X2.jpg
    edited October 19, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Gorgeous work, Tom. You need to hang out in Landscapes more often. deal.gif

Thanks for your support, Joel. I'll probably drift over this way a little more frequently in the future.

Take care,

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Ditto to what kdog said--more landscapes! Hope we can see these beauties in winter. :D #1 is my favorite.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited October 19, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Ditto to what kdog said--more landscapes! Hope we can see these beauties in winter. :D #1 is my favorite.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your encouragement. I intend to be back up in the mountains for a couple of weeks over Christmas. I look forward to shooting these same subjects in the Winter environment....hopefully with a good dose of snow thrown in for good measure. I caught all these same old barns ( along with many others ) in just such a snowy Winter setting a couple of years ago. Many of the shots, frankly, would have made great Christmas card covers. I'm hoping for a repeat of that success this time around.

Take care, Lady,

Tom
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    These are beautiful! I love old barns and abandoned houses! I love the fall colors and the dreariness adds to the mood. Awesome job!!clap.gifclap
    edited October 19, 2011
    These are beautiful! I love old barns and abandoned houses! I love the fall colors and the dreariness adds to the mood. Awesome job!!clap.gifclap

Hey clickin girl,

I hear you. Old barns and abandoned houses rate real high with me too. Maybe even higher than Texas brisket.....just kidding.:D Texas brisket is tops with me, seeing as I got hooked on it while living in Austin for several years. I'm proud to say that I've still got a lot of Texas in my blood.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Hi Mary,

The house and barn may have at one time actually been connected. You can see that one end of the house is missing.....and there is a door on the end of the barn you don't see that would have led directly to the house. There is evidence in the old foundation of the house that would support the idea of the two structures having been connected. In any event, it's very unusual to see a house and barn in such close proximity to each other.

mountains10-16-08-033-X2.jpg

I bet it did connect at one time. Never seen that in ND. You'd think they would of done that tho with the brutal winters. Easy access to feeding the horses/cow/chickens during blizzards.

Think you stumbled onto something here that isn't seen very often.

Thanks for posting this photo. I like seeing if from this angle.