Natalia - Gift for her father

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited October 21, 2005 in People
These pictures were taken a while ago..... about 5 months ago...

I feel confident enough in my PS skills to try and do a good edit of it now.

Please give me your thoughts and opinions... I am open to anything.

I want this to be a gift to her father for letting her be the flower girl in our wedding.

40848180-L.jpg

40848176-L.jpg

Sony 717 with Sunpak 383 bounced off ceiling

Thanks in advance,

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    I think I like the crop on the second better than the first. I think her lips look a bit chapped, I would clone that out in PS and use a little USM. Other than that I think it looks great. Nice picture of a pretty girl.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    I think I like the crop on the second better than the first. I think her lips look a bit chapped, I would clone that out in PS and use a little USM. Other than that I think it looks great. Nice picture of a pretty girl.
    I noticed her lips after I uploaded...

should I USM just her lips or the whole picture?

I thought female shots should be a little soft?
    MM Portfolio

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 20, 2005
    I like the second crop best also.

IF you have the time and the skills to mask out the little girls head and fine trailing hair strands, you might consider blurring the background to remove the post arising out of her head and the lights to the left of her head - maybe a little desaturation of color and a little burning down to give better emphasis to her over the background highlights. I would not darken the brides gown though, that is a perfect accent. :): Lovely flower maiden!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 20, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    I noticed her lips after I uploaded...

should I USM just her lips or the whole picture?

I thought female shots should be a little soft?
    Use the clone or healing tool to fix the lips then sharpen just her. As for female shots being a little soft, I think that is more personal preference. I think it is mainly to soften any wrinkles or skin blemishes but with a little girl such as this she doesn't have any so I think sharpening in this case would be fine. It would also help make her stand out more against the blurred background. I would agree with what Path said also, I never think of stuff like that.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited October 20, 2005
    If you spend enough time cloning out bad backgrounds( like I have :D ) you try to think carefully about backgrounds when shooting. But the reality frequently is that even when you think about, know about, and plan for it, reality jumps in and won't let you shoot from where you had planned anyway. Candids come and go rapidly.

Desaturation, darkening with hue/saturation or burning on layer, and G blur after selection, are all tools to help concentrate the viewers eye on the subject and not the background. A cute little girl, like that, deserves her own special place in the spotlight clap.gif

Selecting with hairs strands can be quite challenging - a good place for using channels I suspect.

edited October 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you spend enough time cloning out bad backgrounds( like I have :D ) you try to think carefully about backgrounds when shooting. But the reality frequently is that even when you think about, know about, and plan for it, reality jumps in and won't let you shoot from where you had planned anyway. Candids come and go rapidly.

Desaturation, darkening with hue/saturation or burning on layer, and G blur after selection, are all tools to help concentrate the viewers eye on the subject and not the background. A cute little girl that deserves her own time in the spotlight clap.gif
    WOW...

I guess i have a lot more to learn than I thought....

looks like i'm gonna be up for a while figuring this out

Thanks,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

edited October 20, 2005
    Your crop is fine, and her father will be pleased with it just as it is.

But I think it can be better. But it will take a little time and effort to do that seemlessly. As I said, selecting with falling hair strands is one of the toughest things to select for when editing. Using Select>Color Range as a start may work, but a channel may also work as a mask. Or select the background instead. Not easy. Not simple. But worth a try. ne_nau.gif

edited October 20, 2005
    I am here to learn... and learn I shall

I've never settled for 2nd best....

let's take this to the end

Thanks,,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

edited October 21, 2005
    This is a quick pass at what I had in mind - background selected with the magnetic lasso, Gaussian blurred on a 2nd layer, desaturated, and the blurred edges painted back with the history brush.

edited October 21, 2005
    ok...

so now what do you think?

40868160-L.jpg

Steven
    MM Portfolio

edited October 21, 2005
    More important - What do you think about your editing? :):

I think your editing is a definite improvement!!

I tried to warm up the cold green light in the background also. I thought it did not fit the overall tonality in the girls face. I included the white background to her right, as part of her veil, and that may have been a mistake. I don't like the transition between the white and the background on her right side in my image. I do like the greater blur I achieved though - you may or may not.; ne_nau.gif

edited October 21, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    More important - What do you think about your editing? :):
    I think that I oficially hate selecting small strands of hair

I think I despise the magic wand tool

I think I have a lot more to go to advance in my PS skills

I do know though, that I had a blast learning 1drink.gif

I like it, but I want to know what others think.... I am trying to train my eye to see it all, not just settle for what I "Think" is good.

Thank you so much for sticking with me on this path... you truly are a great guy, no matter what the rumors say

Steven
    MM Portfolio

edited October 21, 2005
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif No Problemo.

And the rumors are probably based on a grain of truth, like most cliche's. :D

edited October 21, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    nod.gif
    Thank you so much for sticking with me on this path... you truly are a great guy, no matter what the rumors say
    Steven
    yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif
    I think Path is one of the most knowledgable guys I have ever met.

On to the critique:
    I think the newest version is better but here are a couple things I noticed.
    The band in her hair seems to have a glow around it now, probably from your selection being a bit too close to it. If you used a layer to make your selection on you can easily get rid of it by using the history tool. Try using a feathered brush so you don't get any harsh edges. I think her braids have the same glowing edge to them. I agree with Path that the background could be blurred a bit more also and about the yellow in the background. He's really too smart for his own good isn't he icon10.gif. Her chapped lips do look a lot better now thumb.gif. Hope this helps
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited October 21, 2005
    Nick - you're embarassing me. :D:D

Your comments about the history brush are spot on, though!! Great tool for touching up retouching work.

The secret here is to create a new layer with ctrl-J before doing the selection. I used a magnetic lasso because I was just doing a quick demo attempt. Once the selection is made. the edges can be feathered etc as needed. Fine strands of hair sometimes can be selected with Select> Color Range and then adding whatever else is needed.
    Actually selecting the background is easier than selecting her hair and inverting, at least I think it is. Then you can do the GB on the selected layer and make any changes in hue, saturation etc to taste. I liked warming the cold green highlights in the background of the original image.
    The GB can be overdone because it will then be blended with the original background layer to taste with the blending slider. ( I suspect the Blend IF command I described in the Chapter 7 LAB discussion thread might be useful here also, but that is for another dayrolleyes1.gif )

Then the blurred edges of her hat and hair can be touched up with the history brush to bring their sharpness back and avoid the G blur along the edges resulting from the blend of the two layers. My attempt took about 10 minutes, but a good work on the original image will allow much finer control and may take a little longer for best results. BUt I think this little girl deserves to look her best, don't you? :):

• HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    Hi Steven,
    I think Path covered it pretty well (better than I could have), but just wanted to say that I prefer the 2nd crop better. Nice shot that I think the dad will love.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• HarveylevineHarveylevine Registered Users Posts: 325 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:

I think I despise the magic wand tool

I think I have a lot more to go to advance in my PS skills

I do know though, that I had a blast learning 1drink.gif

Steven
    Steven:

One of the best books to learn about the many techniques of masking is Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Masking & Compositing (Voices That Matter) .

If you master even a small number of the techniques described in her book, you will be well on your way to becoming an expert.

Good luck,

Harvey
    Harvey Levine
    Nikon D610, Nikon D300S
    Sony A6000
    http://harveylevine.smugmug.com
  • LinenLinen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    neat trick! I'll have to pocket that one! Sweet shot of a beautiful girl!
  • booboo Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    for USM
    You can make a rough selection of her hair and eyes (and whatever else you'd like to sharpen, feather the selection and USM only those. Or, you can make a layer mask and paint back in the parts that should not be sharpened. I would definitely sharpen her eyes though. Very cute kid.
    edited October 21, 2005
    Steven:

One of the best books to learn about the many techniques of masking is Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Masking & Compositing (Voices That Matter) .

If you master even a small number of the techniques described in her book, you will be well on your way to becoming an expert.

Good luck,

Harvey
    YUP - It's a great book!