Options

How blown is too blown?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 20, 2011 in People
Bright sun used as a rim. In theory,great, but when I say bright, I mean... BRIGHT.

This has had a fair bit of photoshop love already, and I probably need to work on the greens/yellows even more. I like a lot about the shot, but keep thinking "ack! Blown, blown, blown!!".

Thoughts?

i-9dfvb6N-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Do shadows/highlights... 1px tonal width, 1px radius, and % of application to your liking. Pretty much fixes it. (I took it into photo shop and tried it lol)

*edit* Doing it twice really does fix it completely. Then re-dodge the face. I'll just post it I guess:

unled1ggd.jpg

%100 1px, 1px, for the first apply and I forget how much I did the second time already haha
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Not sure why Overfocused decided to edit your photo, but it ruined her face. Stay with your original and add some vignette. It's just a little high-key - not blown. Rim light is supposed to be bright.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I think it is fine. The face still calls for your attention and with the blonde hair I think it works more seamlessly.
    Overfocused's fix did improve the hair a bunch. I'd mask off everything but the hair if you went that route...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    JPC, you were quite right - some more vignette balanced it up very well.

That said... great tip on highlight/shadow OF - never knew about that. Used on just the hair, it'll be great. However, I can't get it even close to your results when I'm working on the tif. Did you clone some hair texture back into the blown area on the top of the head? Try as I might, I can't recover anything there, so I'm wondering how you did it!! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    JPC, you were quite right - some more vignette balanced it up very well.

That said... great tip on highlight/shadow OF - never knew about that. Used on just the hair, it'll be great. However, I can't get it even close to your results when I'm working on the tif. Did you clone some hair texture back into the blown area on the top of the head? Try as I might, I can't recover anything there, so I'm wondering how you did it!! ne_nau.gif

Nope... did radius 1px tonal width %1 both times I applied it... %100 strength the first application and I don't remember how much strength the second time, but, you just need to slide the bar till you like it the second time. I was just demonstrating the sunlight being pulled back and didn't make the face pretty again, lol. Duplicating the layer before and masking the areas botched after shadows/highlights would work.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    I like the original way, way better than the edit.. :\
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    AmazingGrace0385AmazingGrace0385 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    I like the original way just fine. Rim light is supposed to be bright. Like someone said, it's high key, not "blown". If it were a main part of the image and all detail was lost, then it would be blown.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Choose the grass, take a lot of the yellow out, add a bit of black point to the entire photo. Crop a smidge from the right, good to go.
    Perfectly acceptable to have the rim blown a bit.
    If you hate it...use the clone tool at 20%, darken, select the hair next to it and click it over the blown spot a couple times to taste.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    I'm with the majority (plurality?) here -- looks good as is. Rim lights should be bright. The only thing that keeps distracting me is the dark spot in the grass on the bottom left corner. I don't know if it's a shadow or something else, but it keeps drawing my eye away from your cute subject. I think a few seconds with the clone tool would help.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Yeah for sure, the original looks fine.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited October 19, 2011
    Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback and ideas! thumb.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    I try to keep my brightness to less that 245. At times blown out whites are white so 255 is ok.