Nikon D700 or D300S?

One Moment One ShotOne Moment One Shot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited October 19, 2011 in Cameras
I have been looking at the Nikon D700 and the D300S. The Specs are really close and similar. What's the main difference that I am overlooking? The D300S even have video option.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 18, 2011
    A very large difference is that the Nikon D700 is a full-frame (FF), format 135 imager (FX in Nikon speak) while the D300s is a crop 1.5x/APS-C/DX format. While DX lenses are made for the DX bodies, they will not fill the frame of an FX camera. Also the DX sensor is capturing a smaller/narrower field-of-view (FOV) than the FX format imagers, hence the designation "crop" sensor in that it is similar to a cropped portion of an FX sensor.

The DX/crop 1.5x will, because of the narrower FOV, shift the apparent usage of lenses, so that a 35mm lens on an FX sensor is a somewhat wide angle FOV, but on a DX sensor it is considered a normal or "standard" FOV.

By most accounts the D700 is a bit faster to focus than the D300/D300s bodies and the screw-drive motor of the D700 is generally noticed to be a little faster too for AF-D lenses. The D700 also has less visible noise at the higher ISOs, compared to the D300s.

The viewfinder is also brighter on the D700, which can make a difference in low light.

There are other differences in size, etc., but I think the above are the factors that would affect the majority of uses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    It's the same AF motor. One spec'd for DX and one for FX. The AF speed advantage in the D700 comes from it's significantly higher sensitivity to light. While shooting sports with the same lenses I don't see a difference though.

From a technical standpoint the D700 boasts just under 1.5 stops better high ISO performance. However in real world usage You can get a full 2 stops out of it easy.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    FX! But the thing you will really notice is a huge difference in ISO performance. The 1.5 stops is not really a good measure. The D700 is totally usable at ISO 6400 The 300s is sort of usable at 3200 with some work. To some that is no big deal. But all other ISOs are much cleaner on the D700 as well. So an image at ISO 800 is very clean were the 300s is showing some pretty good noise at this point. Not bad, but it is there.

Other differences are lens choice. All lenses need to be FX compatible. This is bigger $$$. Again, to some not a huge deal.

I have had the 300s for quite a while now. It is a killer camera. Depending on what you are coming from or what you shoot, you will most likely love it. But the 700 is a much better camera in almost every way because of that sensor. The only downside to FX is you loose your crop factor zoom. If you shoot wildlife, the crop sensor is like adding a 1.4 teleconverter without adding it. Every lens will have more reach on the DX.
  • joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    I was at the same decision point you are a few months ago and asked almost the same question. The good people of this forum recommended for me to look into the D7000, which at the time I did not know to exist. I, after I did the research, found that the D7000 was what I needed for the type of photos I enjoy taking. Maybe you should look into it, after all, the D7000 is cheaper that both the d300s and the D700.

So far I believe I made a good decision in choosing the D7000.

Joe
    www.jlm-photos.com
  • One Moment One ShotOne Moment One Shot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Thanks for all the information and I am looking at the D7000 now.