Options

Advice on Purchase - NIkon 70-210 f/4

mtcoombesmtcoombes Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 23, 2011 in Accessories
Hi all, new here but needed some advice from fellow Nikon users.

I currently have the 70-300 VR. It's great in good light and I think the VR helps some (especially at 300), but has trouble focussing in dimmer light.

I have an opportunity to buy the 70-210 f/4 - I'm thinking that this might be a better lens than the 70-300 but don't know a lot about it.

Can anybody with the 70-210 comment on it and whether I'd really miss the VR? I don't think I'll really miss the extra 100 at the long end...

Comments

• Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    If you can afford it, I would save up and get the 70-200 VR 2.8. I saw a used one for sale here for like $1400 or so. ...I don't know much about the 70-210 to be able to comment on that, but I am sure someone will be along soon that can help. Sorry if I dropped an expensive suggestion in your lap, but the 70-200 VR 2.8 is such an amazing lens not to keep in mind.

All the best!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    mtcoombes wrote: »
    Hi all, new here but needed some advice from fellow Nikon users.

I currently have the 70-300 VR. It's great in good light and I think the VR helps some (especially at 300), but has trouble focussing in dimmer light.

I have an opportunity to buy the 70-210 f/4 - I'm thinking that this might be a better lens than the 70-300 but don't know a lot about it.

Can anybody with the 70-210 comment on it and whether I'd really miss the VR? I don't think I'll really miss the extra 100 at the long end...

the F4 lens would be better than the variable aperture 70-300.....but it will still be lacking in the low light are.....if you cannot muster the 1200-1600 $ for a 70-200vr1...then look to Sigma 70-200 .. great lenses and focus quite quickly even in low light...as to the needing VR...that really depends on your camera holding style....with the way I lock my elbows into my body and all the VR sometimes make blurry images so well over 85% of the time I shoot with it off even when not on a tripod.....as a nature shooter, I lean against trees the ground or whatever for support if a pod is not usable.......me I buy lenses with VR most for resale value not use value.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    The 70-210mm f4(that is f4 across the focal range) is a decent lens I have one and have had good results. RIght now it sits on the shelf because I have other options. Including Tokina 50-135mm F2.8 and the Nikon 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 VRII shooting on D300 and D7000
    I bought my copy on ebay for I believe about 100.00 it has been awhile. I do not know how your AF will work in dim light you are only gaining more aperture on the longer focal lengths.
    What kind of camera are you shooting and what subjects?
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    I agree with Art - look at Sigma. Or other 3rd parties... Tamron, Tokina, etc.