Options

First time doing serious solo

ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited October 21, 2011 in Weddings
I don't shoot weddings. Atleast not solo, not often, and not so much professionally. I'm considering changing that, as I made a new friend who's thinking of shooting on his own, and who would like me as a second shooter. With that in mind...

A friend of mine was getting married and asked me to shoot her wedding. She told me they wanted some photos "like my landscapes". Having not done HDR of people, I was a little nervous, but after laboring through the first 2, I'm pretty happy so far and anxious to do more work on the others.

IMG059789final-L.jpg

IMG06091011final-L.jpg

And yeah, they're very happy with what they've seen. Too bad my photos of the ceremony didn't turn out quite this awesome!

There was some wind that day, just enough to get leaves moving. The ghosting I've had to deal with has been excessive, but Photomatix is the king and between that and some old fashioned photoshop layering, it's been nothing I can't conquer.

C&C welcome.
Please Look At My Photography!
http://www.AndyCalnan.com/

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    in the first one, landscape looks sharp, but the couple seems to be out of focus..?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    in the first one, landscape looks sharp, but the couple seems to be out of focus..?

It's somewhat intentional. I tried to have them barely out of focus to give a soft look to them (my soft fx filter doesn't fit my wide angle!) I like how it effects them, but with the background in such sharp focus, it kind of contrasts in a way I wasn't intending.

Thanks for pointing out the big flaw in the first comment :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    sorry, I really hate dancing around, being afraid to hurt someone's feelings. that is the reason why I stopped frequenting some other boards. if I don't like something, I don't like it.. I can't change it.
    To me, this image does not work at all.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    sorry, I really hate dancing around, being afraid to hurt someone's feelings. that is the reason why I stopped frequenting some other boards. if I don't like something, I don't like it.. I can't change it.

Not to be harsh, but I have the same issue w/ the first one too. It is the first thing my eyes are drawn to, and not in a good way. Make sure to always focus on faces. If you want to smooth their features you can always do that in lightroom w/out losing the focus on them being the center.

I like the glow to the second photo though.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011

No worries, I asked for C&C and I got it :) As always, I look through people's sites/flickr's before deciding how much weight to give to their comments. Most of your flickr doesn't work for me, but that's life I guess.

Shima, thanks for the tip. I could have sworn my autofocus went off on his chest, and I they didn't look this much out of focus in my viewfinder. I need a new camera with a good screen on the back, I'm tired of not being able to check my focus reliably. I generally shoot at f11 or higher so it doesn't ruin too many photos normally... but grr.

I had done a quick preview processing before and I swear they didn't look as soft in it there... I'll have to try again, see if I can't work some photoshop magic.

Maybe soften the background as well? Or maybe just some of the background around them, and between them, just to not make it as noticable? Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    Not much you can do after the fact to fix it being out of focus...

Why do you usually shoot at F11? I think the first shot would have been way nicer overall composition wise with a more shallow depth of field to really draw your attention to the couple. Also when you're focusing, I recommend focusing on the eyes of one of the couples, that's usually the safest place to aim the focus to get the face nicely focused.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    If this was an attempt at being defensive.. lol.. ok.. at least I didn't "intentionally" miss my focus :)

shima, I think he shoots at f11 because he isn't a people shooter, but a landscaper.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    Not much you can do after the fact to fix it being out of focus...

Why do you usually shoot at F11?

I mostly shoot landscapes and interiors for real estate agents. More DoF works great. I opened up to F6.7, but yeah, I think my AF screwed me with it's initial reading.

I know I can't fix the focus on the couple, but I can do a fake depth of field blur in the background. Might make it take attention away from the softer focus on the couple?
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2011
    shima, I think he shoots at f11 because he isn't a people shooter, but a landscaper.

Ahhh this explains it, in the future, remember you're shooting people, shallow depth of field for the win next time ;) But hey we all learn sometime, so no worries! :)
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited October 21, 2011
    I'm with Foques & Shima - focus is an issue on #1. The landscape and composition skills are definitely there, but with portrait, you either want to go wayyyyyy out of focus for "artistic effect", or you want to go ultra sharp. Out of focus portraits are usually full body and somewhat in the background, showcasing something sharp in the foreground. So for example you could've very successfully applied that philosophy to shot #2, which is well composed and has interesting details throughout the frame.
    Hope that helps :)