Mid-Coast Maine

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited October 22, 2011 in Landscapes
Spent last weekend in the Brunswick area ranging from Harpswell Island out to Pemaquid Point. Here are a few I've processed so far.

#1 Lonely Kayaks

IMGP2541-Edit-L.jpg

This is at one end of the Cribstone Bridge on Harpswell Island, Maine

#2 Classic Pemaquid

IMGP2689-Edit-L.jpg
You just can't help from taking the iconic shots. This is Pemaquid Lighthouse. This granite area leads you from the water up to the lighthouse. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes every night and takes a hose to this basin to be sure it's full of water :rofl. I was a little lucky here in that the brisk wind had calmed for a second.

#3 Shadows on the Rocks

IMGP271768-Edit-L.jpg

Sunset was getting closer and got some interesting images of the colors in the granites and the sunset light on the lighthouse.

C&C always welcome. Others can be found here....

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    Nice set of images but I have never been able to understand why people take landscape photos in a portrait style format it just seems to go against the grain of things but that's just me.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    Cool shots, I really like that last one.
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    I think the portrait images works quite well. It does seem like an oxymoron, but sometimes just works.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

As far as portrait vs. landscape, I use portrait a lot because there are times when a vertical composition seems to me to be a better way to convey the sense of the location. In the case of these pictures, I was trying to show the long sweep of granite up from the water to the lighthouse. I don't think I could have gotten the same feeling in a horizontal composition.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 21, 2011
    Very nice, Tom. Looking forward to seeing more of your trip.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

As far as portrait vs. landscape, I use portrait a lot because there are times when a vertical composition seems to me to be a better way to convey the sense of the location. In the case of these pictures, I was trying to show the long sweep of granite up from the water to the lighthouse. I don't think I could have gotten the same feeling in a horizontal composition.

Completely agree with you. I'm no landscape photography expert but I often find portrait mode works best for some scenes. On rule I have is that I at least look at a scene in portrait just for good measure. More often than not, I find a comp that works really well in portrait. Additionally, almost all panorama stitches I do are composed of exposures taken in portrait.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site