Epson Stylus Photo 1290 Print Head Problem

shadow_scoobshadow_scoob Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 21, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I have recently purchased an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 (second-hand). I have tried to print and the print head seems to be loose (on one side). It wobbles as it moves along and it clonks when it gets to the right hand end of the carriage. It prints but it is ghosting where the print head is moving.

I think that something has come loose in transit but am not sure what.:scratch

Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    I have recently purchased an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 (second-hand). I have tried to print and the print head seems to be loose (on one side). It wobbles as it moves along and it clonks when it gets to the right hand end of the carriage. It prints but it is ghosting where the print head is moving.

I think that something has come loose in transit but am not sure what.headscratch.gif

Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I came across this:-
    Q. My 1290 after about 10% of the image is printed moves to the right as you look at it and when it sprays into the well bangs into the stops.
    A. That problem is almost always caused by a dry/dirty carriage guide shaft. To clean it turn the printer on, push the paper feed button and when the carriage moves from it's parked position pull the power plug from the wall.

Now just take a paper towel and run it along the carriage guide shaft. If you get any black or dark grey on the paper towel then just continue wiping the carriage guide shaft until it is completely clean. Then use cotton swab (Q-Tip) and clean the bushings where the carriage guide shaft runs through the carriage assembly.

Then take a light oil like Break-Free, 3 in one or a sewing machine oil and apply a few drops of oil onto the carriage guide shaft. Now just slide the carriage side a few times and re-oil if needed.

That's all there is to it.

Q.thankyou you are correct that did the trick.

SO I'd try that first.
    Fix Your Own Printer

I pointed towards this yesterday SSC Utility Bottom of page for English version.

Hope that helps..

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • shadow_scoobshadow_scoob Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2005
    ...and there's more!
    Hey Bod

Thanks for that. I actually found out that one of the brass bushes came loose in transit (seems that this is quite common). I had to select the change ink position and then cut the power. I then had to re-insert the brass bush (this is the bush that the plastic print head needs to slide along the aforementioned carriage guide shaft. This seemed to solve my problem although I thought that it sounded as though there was some friction on the guide shaft. I also noticed that the first 10% of the print comes out in shades of green, but the rest prints perfectly.

I don't know if cleaning the shaft will affect this but I will try anyway.

Cheers

Steve
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    Hey Bod

Thanks for that. I actually found out that one of the brass bushes came loose in transit (seems that this is quite common). I had to select the change ink position and then cut the power. I then had to re-insert the brass bush (this is the bush that the plastic print head needs to slide along the aforementioned carriage guide shaft. This seemed to solve my problem although I thought that it sounded as though there was some friction on the guide shaft. I also noticed that the first 10% of the print comes out in shades of green, but the rest prints perfectly.

I don't know if cleaning the shaft will affect this but I will try anyway.

Cheers

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Sounds like your getting there..

Don't forget to align the print head. This may solve the green banding..
    Go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, right click icon for printing preferences, utility, print head alignment. Use one sheet of high quality paper re-fed.

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières