Man Walking on Beach - C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited October 25, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I shot this one at Reid Beach State Park in Maine. I made the conversion in PS with Silver Efx Pro, making a couple of local adjustments and then using one of the Ilford paper options. I like the story but am not sure about the conversion. I'd appreciate any C&C, including any thoughts on the comp--is the man just too small?

Many thanks, Lauren

i-b4dKRRk-XL.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Hey Lauren,

I like the overall pic, but like you, I'm not 100% sold on the conversion. As to the comp, I'd crop the bottom off up to the top of the footprint circle on the right. This places the walker in about the "rule of thirds" position, and still maintains the offset horizon placement.
    Randy
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Thanks, Randy. I'll play with the crop and do a different conversion and re-post. I like the pic but need to figure out how to get the most out of it. I do have some other versions of it and I'll take another look at those too. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 22, 2011
    Nice shot. I agree with Randy's crop suggestion. There's not much going on at the bottom of the frame. If you're planning a rework, I think you should try to bring out more detail in the sky. You might try doing two separate conversions--one for the sky and one for the rest--then combine them in Photoshop using a simple layer mask.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Morning Lauren,

I really like the look and feel this images gives
    off, and I also like Randy's suggestion on the
    crop.

As everyone's views are subjective, I'd
    like to throw another change in, and that
    is to remove/clone out all but the mans
    footprints. That way it appears he's the
    only one there and not simply following
    anothers' path.

Regardless, it's a neat image exactly
    like you've presented. Funny how those
    turn out like that, and that one can usually
    get 2-3 more wonderful cropped images
    from them.

Very nicely done !!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited October 22, 2011
    Thanks Richard and Craig. Here are a couple of different versions with new crops and fewer footprints. I could not do much with the sky, there was just no detail there. I appreciate any additional C&C ya'll may have for me.

Thanks, Lauren

1. Original - see initial post

2. Different crop, reworked B&W conversion for softer look, cloned out footprints
    i-TndPKZ6-XL.jpg

3. Color version of 2
    i-bh4NPhh-XL.jpg

4. Artistic version, diff crop
    i-GvRj7xT-XL.jpg

5. Same time and place but different shot - with group
    i-7LTkjg8-XL.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Hi Lauren,

I like this shot a lot. I think the cropping helped and I prefer the elimination of the extra footsteps.
    I must say....probably not a surprise to anyone...that I prefer the colored version. I think it is more effective in highlighting the mist/fog that is evident along the shore and into the wooded area....at least it seems that way to me. Regardless of their preference, I think all viewers will find the picture appealing.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Howdy Lauren,

I really like the look of #4, that's the look I was thinking about.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Good morning Lauren. I love the concept of this photo. Personally I agree with Tom - the colour version seems to have the stronger story, although #4 is appealing too. The group shot? Not so much.

Just curious, how many images did you shoot while you were "out east" (I think that's a Canadian expression)?
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited October 23, 2011
    Thanks, all. I prefer 3 and 4 myself, the more I look at the whole set. Maybe the color and B&W versions would be nice framed together.

Ceci, I came home with about 3000 images, at least 1/3 of which have already been tossed. That doesn't include the couple of hundred that I deleted from the camera as I went along. I wish I could say I have a lot of keepers but not as many as I would like. Will have to make a return trip.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited October 23, 2011
    I'm a bit late to this discussion, but...

I find that my favorite is the color version (#3), with #4 coming in a close second.

--- Denise
  • WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Both the original and the redo for a softer look are my personal favorites with the original being #1. The size of the man walking on the beach relative to the rest of the shot speaks to me and says. "hey! Humanity. Take a look and note that in the grand scheme of things, compared to nature, you don't count for a whole lot."

Great shot worthy of display anywhere IMHO.

redleash wrote: »
    Thanks Richard and Craig. Here are a couple of different versions with new crops and fewer footprints. I could not do much with the sky, there was just no detail there. I appreciate any additional C&C ya'll may have for me.

Thanks, Lauren

1. Original - see initial post

2. Different crop, reworked B&W conversion for softer look, cloned out footprints
    i-TndPKZ6-XL.jpg
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Howdy Lauren

Randy and Richard's crop recommendation is spot on but Craig's suggestion re: the extraneous footprints elevates the image exponentially. That said, I really like #2 a bit more than #3 and the only thing I would wish for were it mine would be a bit more detail in the far off hills as shown in #5. Then again the man is the subject here and more detail might diminish that.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Thanks, all. I prefer 3 and 4 myself, the more I look at the whole set. Maybe the color and B&W versions would be nice framed together.

Ceci, I came home with about 3000 images, at least 1/3 of which have already been tossed. That doesn't include the couple of hundred that I deleted from the camera as I went along. I wish I could say I have a lot of keepers but not as many as I would like. Will have to make a return trip.

Lauren

You are welcome any time! Hoover and Halo enjoyed your company too mwink.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Wow .. you have so many good different options to choose from. Can't make up my mind :D

Think in the end I favor the reworked BW photo. As for the footprints. I like less, but then again I like more too. Each give a different mood when viewing.
    edited October 25, 2011
    Thanks, Mary!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com