Options

Claimed Canon employee wanted to hire me for work

Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited October 22, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I get the call today for a wedding on the beach.

1. its the beach

2. its today

Those do not work well with me, I sent over my prices and he was trying to chop me in 3rd for price. So I explained what we use for equipment and the quality we put to it vs. the stuck in 80's photogs around the area. He gave me the ultimatum of 200.00 last chance. He said he would only need the disc since he works for canon and prints his own.

I said that's the most valuable part to a photographer, of course that would be beneficial.

Are there any other responses besides No the whole way through for asking if Ill do it 200.00 3/4 times?

Even after 11 years of doing this I still want to send the video that goes through different professions and tries to knock them down.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    $200 doesn't barely cover gasoline and lunch these days.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Are there any other responses besides No the whole way through for asking if Ill do it 200.00 3/4 times?

I know it sounds brash, but hanging up might work. You've been in biz eleven years and this is the first cheapskate you've encountered? You must be doing something right!

What was your original price...more or less?
    tom wise
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I know it sounds brash, but hanging up might work. You've been in biz eleven years and this is the first cheapskate you've encountered? You must be doing something right!

What was your original price...more or less?

When I was in the car business, you soon learned the ones that hang around to nitpick the Vehicle or keep haggiling price are the ones that are really interested.

The ones that thank you for your time and leave obviously are serious about NOT buying.

I have also found that when given a stupid price ultimatium, refering someone else " That I know does really cheap work and might be able to accomodate your type of budget" soon sorts them out as wll. If they keep talking rather than ask for the other guys number, again you know it's not the price only thing they make out.

When I want to blow silly price shoppers away quickly and have some sport in the process, I hit them with indisputable logic.

If they would say that they were only interested in price and that was the most important thing when I tried to give them the speil, I would feed the objection back and say " Is price your only concern and most important concern?"
    When they said yes, I'd then ask, " OK, if i do pics for $20, are we on? They would ask what they got or how long I would be there or how many prints etc.
    'Id say, " Don't worry about that, $20, yes or no?
    They would repeat they wanted to know what they got or that included before they said yes and I would hit them with the hammer, smile down the phone and say:
    " Well if your wanting to know what you get, price isn't the most important thing then is it because I just gave you the best price ever!"

If you're not familliar with the expression of "silence being defening", try that on your next price shopper and I gaurantee you will know exactly what it means within seconds of using that line. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2011
    Oh nooooooo, this is one of many hundred per year. I just want to be a little more quick in my response, or do the old low cost, and hammer them on prints, but that will prob lead to bad reviews. I have an elopement package that's around 500.00 for the 1.5hr time . Usually when they say we're shopping for price and on a tight budget, I send them our 10k-3k packages, unless they are specific in they have reviewed our work then I'll do the elopement pckg.

I def had one last week that copied the email I got to my associate photog to her business, then to my other website that doesn't I'd me. We just said were a lready booked. It's a weird game to play, all I hear is economy, however my stepmom car deals and sells 2-3 a day, dad in construction has 3 houses going normally he does 2 per yr, mom at another const co. They have 150 homes going, Walmart in cfl is doing record 1 mil sales weeeeekly, my old publix, breaking rec on sales, sprint sold hunormous amounts of iPhones, at colonial camera Friday they sold around 12k in equipment while I was there in 10 min, not to include mine. And thankfully we have about 40 upcoming weddings. Oh I forgot I quoted a fantasy race event, 10 people 10k each in central fl.

In person I politely compaire their 100\mo iPhones x 2 or if parents are there x4 and do a comparison over 1year vs lifetime if they are concerned with price. It usually works putting it in perspective. But I don't want to beg for work.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    When I was in the car business, you soon learned the ones that hang around to nitpick the Vehicle or keep haggiling price are the ones that are really interested.

The ones that thank you for your time and leave obviously are serious about NOT buying.

I have also found that when given a stupid price ultimatium, refering someone else " That I know does really cheap work and might be able to accomodate your type of budget" soon sorts them out as wll. If they keep talking rather than ask for the other guys number, again you know it's not the price only thing they make out.

When I want to blow silly price shoppers away quickly and have some sport in the process, I hit them with indisputable logic.

If they would say that they were only interested in price and that was the most important thing when I tried to give them the speil, I would feed the objection back and say " Is price your only concern and most important concern?"
    When they said yes, I'd then ask, " OK, if i do pics for $20, are we on? They would ask what they got or how long I would be there or how many prints etc.
    'Id say, " Don't worry about that, $20, yes or no?
    They would repeat they wanted to know what they got or that included before they said yes and I would hit them with the hammer, smile down the phone and say:
    " Well if your wanting to know what you get, price isn't the most important thing then is it because I just gave you the best price ever!"

If you're not familliar with the expression of "silence being defening", try that on your next price shopper and I gaurantee you will know exactly what it means within seconds of using that line. wings.gif

I love that , I did it with the fantasy racing, mind you my quote was 2% of their 100k profit, they said it was not feasible, ndthey wanted commercial use, so I said ok I'll do it for freelance, you buy photos you want for drivers. I got, we'll let you know.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    What might have been funny... Offer to visit the beach for $200. Although it would cost quite a bit more to actually have you shoot at them rather than anything else that caught your eye or just go for a swim.