Options

Alan

BingoboyBingoboy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited October 28, 2011 in Street and Documentary
1-L.jpg

He has a degree in History.......cue family breakdown and Hey Presto ! he lives on the street, playing a penny whistle for the spare change of passers-by.

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    I really like this one..... Yet part of me would have liked to see the focal point on the fingers or the face rather than the book. For me at least, the title and background info is about Alan which would lend itself to him being front and center so to speak.

Still, I keep coming back to it...thumb.gif
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Scott nailed it, IMHO. If the focal point just shifted a bit toward either the fingers of the face, it'd be a killer image
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    BingoboyBingoboy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Thanks, you guys. You're both absolutely right. We were talking about the book ( on Chinese history ) and I think I made the wrong decision to focus on that. My idea was to produce a sort of soft, 1930's feel, but I definitely misread it, so to speak.
    I kick myself every time I look at it, and I'll be filing it in the experience drawer marked "THINK FIRST".

David.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2011
    Bingoboy wrote: »
    Thanks, you guys. You're both absolutely right. We were talking about the book ( on Chinese history ) and I think I made the wrong decision to focus on that. My idea was to produce a sort of soft, 1930's feel, but I definitely misread it, so to speak.
    I kick myself every time I look at it, and I'll be filing it in the experience drawer marked "THINK FIRST".

David.

Don't feel so bad, we all do that - "What was I thinking?!!!" :-)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 26, 2011

David.
    Don't feel so bad, it's still a nice image. Anyway, once we have Lytro technology everywhere, we'll be able to change the focal point after the fact. mwink.gif
  • Options
    SamoBikerSamoBiker Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Great shot. I would be proud to have learning experience type shots like this. It works for me.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    So this image brings up an interesting point.....

From your subsequent posting, I'm under the impression you had already formed the image in your head based on your conversation with Alan, correct? Then you simply executed the shot based on what you planned. So in that respect, the image to you was exactly what you wanted at that time.

Then we look at the image and have a different message received.

What I take away from this is what the shooters initial interpretation is - and how it's framed in their head - is what will be captured. I won't say the image missed the mark, but the message may have missed with the execution. Does that make sense?

As for kicking yourself, don't beat yourself up. Just shoot two images with different focal points in rapid succession to cover the bases!

It's still a great image.

• Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Intimate portrait
    1-L.jpg

He has a degree in History.......cue family breakdown and Hey Presto ! he lives on the street, playing a penny whistle for the spare change of passers-by.

There but for the Grace of God go I!
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    Nah, I think sometimes the technical aspect of an image, e.g. the DoF and focus point, cannot be fully appreciated until the image is seen large. It could have worked if the angle of the person is different. In fact, I just saw an image of an old woman looking at her passport and the focus is on the passport and the image works in that case. However, in this particular composition, the choice of focus point does not work for me. IMHO etc. of course.
    M38A1 wrote: »
    So this image brings up an interesting point.....

From your subsequent posting, I'm under the impression you had already formed the image in your head based on your conversation with Alan, correct? Then you simply executed the shot based on what you planned. So in that respect, the image to you was exactly what you wanted at that time.

Then we look at the image and have a different message received.

What I take away from this is what the shooters initial interpretation is - and how it's framed in their head - is what will be captured. I won't say the image missed the mark, but the message may have missed with the execution. Does that make sense?

As for kicking yourself, don't beat yourself up. Just shoot two images with different focal points in rapid succession to cover the bases!

It's still a great image.