Canon 7D or Wait ?????

BartholomewBartholomew Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 25, 2011 in Cameras
I’m in predicament that pertains to a purchase of next DSLR. Currently, I own Canon T2i with several different lenses; by no means do I consider myself a pro, but more of an amateur /enthusiast photographer, with a huge drive in this great hobby. I have been eyeballing the Canon 7D, however, with today’s technology and the digital era, makes me wonder if DSLR will be around much longer. At times like this I wish I have a crystal ball, but then again if this were the case we all be rich by now. Type of photography that I like is; street, sports, action shots etc.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    DSLRs will be around for a long time yet. If you like sports and action, the 7D is amazing for that.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 21, 2011
    Is your concern that the Canon 7D will be phased out and replaced or that dSLRs in general are soon going to be obsolete?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BartholomewBartholomew Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2011
    Yes defiantly one thing that is on my mind, is that fact that DSLR 's will become obsolete in few years, and then what. I think this is my major concern, I only hope what ever comes out in the future it will be compatible with L lenses.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited October 21, 2011
    The only thing for sure is that the digital camera market will change dramatically in the next 10 years, and that 20 years from now anything electronic you buy today will be obsolete. Cameras will never make very good investments, with very few exceptions, unless you use them to make money. Cameras do make very good tools for solving photographic problems.

If your current dSLR does not do what you need it to do, by all means buy what you need now.

I agree with Andy that the Canon 7D is a killer camera and it will still be a capable camera, with the same qualities as it has now, five years from now. You may "choose" to upgrade during that time or after, but if your needs stay the same, and if the 7D fills those needs now, it will continue to do so.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    To the OP, go for the 7D, it's great. I shot with my 20D all while the 40D, 50D and whatever other D's came and went. Each was "better" than my 20D, but the 20D still performed great, suited and needs and wasn't in need of replacement so I just ignored the new camera / pixel hype and kept on shooting. When the time came to get a new camera the 7D was the one that did the things I wanted from my 20D days, and more. I wanted fast fps, good auto focus and the use of CF cards, all of which the 7D give me. The HD video is a kind of cool, but it wasn't something I was looking for. I'm not worried about a better camera coming out tomorrow or next year....cause it probably will, as I'll just keep on using the 7D till it needs to be replaced, or I can justify buying a second dSLR.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited October 22, 2011
    Gentleman,

I thank you all for you feedback, it looks like I will be heading to Adorama on Sunday to grab the 7D. I agree, the DSLR's will become obsolete eventually, but I hope will still be able to use the expansive lenses on the new bodies what ever they might be. Once again thank you all for the feed back.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    And whatever cameras that do come out and replace DSLRs, won't make the current cameras worse. Even if they're obsolete, they'll still take great photos :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    DSLR's will become obsolete eventually

Yes and no. To say as many people do that new tech is always better than old is true only up to a point and according to circumstances. Tech is not some kind of bottomless cup. Indeed we don't have some of the things we can imagine for our cameras NOW simply because of things like how our bodies are made and the laws of optics and electronics, and economics. It's 40yr since someone last got onto the moon for an hour or so. How come?! 1969 was back in the Stone Age wasn't it?! Where are all the Marriotts in the sky?! Do you have an internal combustion engine in your car 100yr after Tin Lizzie?

So don't abandon reality when thinking about the future of photographic gear. Sure there will be different tech and different devices - the MARKET will see to that. But it's quite another matter if such devices make current tech obsolete as measured by quality of product, and a slew of other factors. For example I don't see an end to medium format or large format gear after a decade of digital dslrs. It's actually going the other way, where LF & MF are becoming more desirable to high end dslr users, and large format was the ORIGINAL photographic gear of over 200yr ago!

It's pure market hype that tech progress is endlessly upward and multiplicative. It ain't reality.

How long do you have to wait for that dslr obsolescence idea of yours to give you your next camera?mwink.gifD

Having said that, it would seem to me that Canon is entering a dslr "spring", and that in the next 24mo we will see bodies with real improvements in usability and performance, if not necessarily in quality of image. Do you want to wait for 2yr?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited October 24, 2011
    Once again, thank you all for taking your time and responding to the post. Tomorrow is the day for Canon 7D, accompanied by Canon 70-200 f2.8 II IS. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Once again, thank you all for taking your time and responding to the post. Tomorrow is the day for Canon 7D, accompanied by Canon 70-200 f2.8 II IS. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Nice. I love my 70-200 f2.8 IS, but I hardly ever find myself using the IS.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Absolutely not, Ziggy
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I agree with Andy that the Canon 7D is a killer camera and it will still be a capable camera, with the same qualities as it has now, five years from now. You may "choose" to upgrade during that time or after, but if your needs stay the same, and if the 7D fills those needs now, it will continue to do so.

I have it on good authority that exactly two days, twenty minutes and fourteen seconds after a new Canon camera is introduced, all previous Canon models immediately stop workingrolleyes1.gif

Send them to me and I will ensure that they are disposed of in an environmentally conscientous manner...

On the serious side, there will always be a new camera lurking around the corner. If you need (want) the capabilities of the 7D now, get one now.