Options

Mac question

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited October 26, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
how do you FORMAT a drive or memory card on a macbook?? I have an sd card that is downloaded to a macbook right after making short vimeo vids and some how even tho the card is empty the canon vid cam says it is full....I need a full long format...is it possible on macbooks???

not my cam...definitely not my macbook :D:D I am just the one that gets to do the work when the cam and MB owner is out of town.......

Thanx
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    If you threw the file(s) in the trash you need to actually empty the trash. Click on the trash icon to to do that. There will be a button at the top right of the window that says "empty."

To format the drive you use Disk Utility. In the Applications folder you'll see a Utilities folder, and it will be in there.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    If you threw the file(s) in the trash you need to actually empty the trash. Click on the trash icon to to do that. There will be a button at the top right of the window that says "empty."

To format the drive you use Disk Utility. In the Applications folder you'll see a Utilities folder, and it will be in there.

did the move files to trash and then emptied the trash can...still says Memory card is FULL.....

Will try the disk utility monday when I get near the mac again.....I am used to simply right clicking on the drive/memory card and selecting format......

Thanx David.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Why not reformat in the camera?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Why not reformat in the camera?

I looked thru all the menus, it is a vid cam, and did not see a format function....that was my first thought...as I have had cams, dslr's, not recognize a computer formated card....but this little canon HD VIXIA, did not have a format function, unless canon speak is like mac speak and totally different from real cams like Nikon and Minolta, or real computers like PC's .... rolleyes1.gifwings.gifrolleyes1.gifwings.gifrolleyes1.gifwings.gifrolleyes1.gif ..seriously I spent 2 hours roaming every menu I could find over and over again...... i went a head and did a full PC format, took 3.5 hours and the SD card is now working fine in the vid cam.

Thanx for the suggestions and also for educating me a bit on macs......thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I looked thru all the menus, it is a vid cam, and did not see a format function....that was my first thought...as I have had cams, dslr's, not recognize a computer formated card....but this little canon HD VIXIA, did not have a format function, unless canon speak is like mac speak and totally different from real cams like Nikon and Minolta, or real computers like PC's .... rolleyes1.gifwings.gifrolleyes1.gifwings.gifrolleyes1.gifwings.gifrolleyes1.gif ..seriously I spent 2 hours roaming every menu I could find over and over again...... i went a head and did a full PC format, took 3.5 hours and the SD card is now working fine in the vid cam.

Thanx for the suggestions and also for educating me a bit on macs......thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

If you want to "right click" on a MAC, hold down the "Control" key while clicking on an object - a menu will pop up.

I never format on my computer. Once I've downloaded into Aperture, a dialog box opens asking if I'd like to empty the card (delete photos) and eject. I just say OK. Then, when the light on my card reader goes off, I remove the card, insert in the camera and format there - depending on the Canon model it is under one of the 'utilities' menus (designated by a wrench icon at the top). Hope that helps you next time:D
    Ceci
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    If you want to "right click" on a MAC, hold down the "Control" key while clicking on an object - a menu will pop up.

I never format on my computer. Once I've downloaded into Aperture, a dialog box opens asking if I'd like to empty the card (delete photos) and eject. I just say OK. Then, when the light on my card reader goes off, I remove the card, insert in the camera and format there - depending on the Canon model it is under one of the 'utilities' menus (designated by a wrench icon at the top). Hope that helps you next time:D
    Ceci

I do the same with my DSLR's but this was with a vid cam (video) and none of the menus had a format option...but thanx for the info anyway.......I had a regular mouse attached to the mac and there was a menu when i rt cliked but no format option......
    David showed me the magic for that....

have a great day.

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    I used to run Windows and until this day all problems I had with OSX occurred only
    because I wanted to do things the PC way. Something which you also fell victim to.

If you really need to format a disk/card whatever on a mac just start up the build
    in "Disk Utility" and it's all there. However I doubt that formatting makes any sense
    really. If you can't just delete the in the cam remove them in the finder using
    Cmd+Backspace and then hit Shift+Cmd+Backspace to empty the trash and you are done.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston