Options

Couple's Shot

megriffmegriff Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited October 24, 2011 in People
I did this for a friend this morning. I tend to photograph them a lot because they are willing participants. Also, sorry about the crappy watermark.

wlvva0.jpg
Meghan

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    I like the conversion!

I would say that the focus is off. His collar is tack sharp, but the eyes are muddy. The eyes are the most important part of a photo, especially when the subject is looking into the camera. We should be able to count eyelashes.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    I think the focus is just fine. I've never known a client or art enthusiast who wanted to count eyelashes before. Just because modern optics are capable of producing incredibly sharp images, doesn't mean every image should be. Anyhow, she's a bit sharper than he is, which works perfectly, since she's the star of the photo.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    I like the conversion!

I would say that the focus is off. His collar is tack sharp, but the eyes are muddy. The eyes are the most important part of a photo, especially when the subject is looking into the camera. We should be able to count eyelashes.

OK so let's say the focus is off but my focus point was directly over her left eye. What would cause his collar to be tack sharp but not her face like I intended?
    Meghan
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Focus is not an issue with this pic, but the processing is. It's flat, which is the most common problem with b/w conversions. Simply removing the color is not enough. You need to play with curves to brighten it up. Run it through the mill again and experiment.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Focus is not an issue with this pic, but the processing is. It's flat, which is the most common problem with b/w conversions. Simply removing the color is not enough. You need to play with curves to brighten it up. Run it through the mill again and experiment.

Thanks. I am still learning how to use LR so I did play around with it but I see what you mean. I tried another conversion... do you have any tips to get a good conversion?

116nuaf.jpg
    Meghan
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    The second conversion is much better! clap.gif

I really like the moment captured here, with him looking to the side and her making eye contact with you. I only wish I could see the rest of his head/ear.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    This version is much better. The highlights fader in LR is your friend when it comes to b/w. Nice job.
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    The second one is great! :-)
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Learning LR is pretty daunting. I just got the book and there is so much to learn and figure out.
    Meghan
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    I like the second conversion much better. I do feel that the image is a bit soft though. If that is what you are going for then it works.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook