help with a lens

shewholaughsshewholaughs Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited October 23, 2011 in Cameras
Ladies and jellyspoons...
Recently, I have purchased a used lens and I am dissatisfied with it. I'm coming to your for either verification that this indeed a bum lens OR an education about focal lengths and lens capabilities.
The lens in question is an older push/pull zoom Nikkor 35-70mm (2.8). I believe this is the one.
Here's the issue. When I focus infinity at 35mm zoom, the focus is only sharp about 6-10 feet in front of me. When I zoom in to 70mm, this issue seems to go away and I can get sharp focus a longer way away. This is a significant problem ... especially at weddings. I want to show the entire aisle in the photo but I want the focus on the bride and groom who are 40-80 feet in front of me.
The other thing I'm seeing is that the subject distance in the metadata of the raw images seem to either be infinity or 3.6m. Honestly, this is the first time I've investigated my "subject distance" so maybe this is a possible reason.
Below are a couple of test shots that show the kind of things I'm seeing. The first image is at 35mm and the second at 70mm. The focus point (2/3 up from bottom, easily 50 feet away) has not changed from shot to shot.
Main question: Am i going crazy? or does the 35mm focus only at short distances??

i-BWm4Pn7-L.jpg
i-QFdFHPx-L.jpg

Comments