XC running, need advice and ideas

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 21, 2005 in Sports
I've been going to some middle school XC running meets and to be honest, I really haven't figured out what to do to get good shots of this sport. The backgrounds are very busy, the area of interest is wide enough that shallow DOF doesn't work so great. It's late afternoon and the shadows are often harsh. Anyway, I'm just not finding the right concept.

Here are some examples of my less than wonderful shots from the last two meets I shot. Note that I haven't done any post on these. If the problems were something that could be fixed in post, I'd be happy, so please focus on helping me with ideas for composition and how/where to shoot.

Thanks for any ideas.

The 1st and 2nd place boys at the finish:

40851805-M.jpg

Coming to the finish line:

40851216-M.jpg

Struggling to hold onto 3rd:

40851903-M.jpg

40852032-M.jpg

The girls getting underway:

40852830-M.jpg

This is classic of my problems here. It might be OK, but that background really isn't working.

This coach has real potential if I could just find a shot that got him in context:

40852529-M.jpg

40852589-M.jpg

40852638-M.jpg

I did try:

40854107-M.jpg

On another day, I did get a few that aren't so bad, though there is the persistant aiming high problem:

38951378-M.jpg

38951318-M.jpg

And this one is just really frustrating. Would be a pretty good shot, eh, if not for that stupid background.

38953849-M.jpg

There is always the chance to get a few portraits when it's all over. I find that's always plus in shooting any sport. Seems so easy after the frustration of trying to capture action, but it doesn't really address the real issue.

40852290-M.jpg

40852461-M.jpg

40854411-M.jpg

40853684-M.jpg

38952310-M.jpg

38952392-M.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 21, 2005
    Do they have a hill?
    Rutt,
    When my daughter ran CC in High School, part of the course always had a hill to climb and come down. I found this a good place to stake out since I could get nice angled shots of the runners climbing/coming down the hill. If I got low enough, most of the BG was sky. They may not use hills at this level, but maybe getting lower would help a bit with the BG.

Other than that, capturing some pained facial expressions was the only other type shots I'd try. This is a tough sport to shoot because with the spacing between runners it's tough to show any sort of context.

FWIW, and I know it's probably not worth much to you coming from me, I think you did a very good job with these. I'm sure the parents of these runners would love to have some of your 8x10s in their homes :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    or if there's a bench or something you can get up on, so you're firing slightly down then you'll get more of other runners and/or ground behind them than sky/houses/bleachers/etc. With field sports I've found that just two feet makes a big difference.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005

FWIW, and I know it's probably not worth much to you coming from me...

Why in the world would you think that? I'm dissatisfied with where I am now in shooting these events, but having you like the shots means a lot.
    If not now, when?
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    Rutt, my daughter frequently runs in xc events, although I missed the last one because of the baby, I have now managed to shoot a few.
    If possible I try to walk the course with the girls before the race, to find the best vantage points that I can get too after the start but still get back in time to shoot the finish.
    I fire off a load of shots just before, & during the start, there's usually plenty of emotion there: anticipation, determination, nerves, etc..... you also have the time to get down low to use the sky / treetops as bg.
    Hills are good for a different set of expressions, as well the benefits that Steve mentioned.
    Whilst I have couple of start shots that I'm pleased with, I struggle with the actual races and could do with some advice too!