Looking for things to improve on.

r7r5r7r5 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited October 24, 2011 in Landscapes
Just starting in photography. A friend of mine on smugmug as well is showing me some things, but it's nice to get more opinions too.

Comments

• LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Nicely done!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2011
    Welcome to Dgrin, r7r5! Very nice first post. thumb.gif
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Not bad at all, and a very nice first post. For me, though, the rocks in the foreground don't really add much to the image. I probably would have moved in (or zoomed in) closer to use the rapids for my foreground. It would also keep them from being dead center in the photograph, which makes the image a bit static. The lighting also looks a little bit flat. I'm guessing mid-morning on an overcast day? Not that you want to shoot at high noon either, but soft, somewhat directional early morning or evening light about an 30-60 mins after sunrise or before sunset can really add a lot of richness to your photo. You can also make up for it somewhat with a little extra vibrance and contrast in post processing.

Very nice spot, though, with a lot of potential. Where is that, by the way?
  • r7r5r7r5 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Islandcrow you nailed the lighting situation. I took this in Smokey Mountain National Park last week.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Looks pretty good.
    To me the forground is dominant and detracts from the overall subject which is the water and forest behind.
    Looks just a bit flat, did you do a levels adjustment on it?
    edited October 24, 2011
    I did adjust the levels. However I don't know any real science to it I usually pull the outside markers into where the graph starts to rise on each respective side then adjust the center market to my eye. Please let me know if there is a correct way to do a levels adjustment. Thanks
    edited October 24, 2011
    version 2.0
    I made some brightness and contrast adjustments. I like it better now. Thanks for the input i hope this is what you where referring to.
  • TotziensTotziens Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Nice shot and looks much better after the brightness and contrast adjustment.
    edited October 24, 2011
    Thank you