Aurora+Flashlight lit John Deere

SpinneySpinney Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
edited October 27, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
had another go at the tractor this time with a flashlight and the Northern lights for background with the dipper!

Comments

• SpinneySpinney Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    number 2
    couple more.............
    edited October 24, 2011
    number 3
    and the last one not sure which one I like best? I am leaning towards the wider angle of number 2:)
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,882 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Nr. 2 is also my favourite thumb.gif
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    I would love to see the aurora some day, you're lucky to live where you do (but we all are, eh). I like what you've done with this shot, and I think it has promise, but to me the bright light on the tractor gives it more of a 'sitting in a parking lot' look than being in a field. I wonder if less light, so most of the tractor is in shadow, with some highlights on the edges, so you can tell it's a Deere, would fit the location better. Here's what I'd like to try if I was there. First, turn the tractor so it's pointed more towards the aurora, but not straight on. About 30-45 degrees off for starters. Then, with a wide angle lens, I'd like to get my camera a couple feet behind and a couple feet above where the drivers head would be if someone was in it. A ladder leaned up against the back, or a tailgate of a truck backed up to it, or even squatting on the back of the tractor should do it. Then I'd see if I could put the tractor seat and everything forward of it in the frame, so it looks like you're a really tall guy standing behind the tractor looking at the aurora. With a longer exposure you'll probably get enough ambient light to define the tractor, and maybe even get some reflection from the aurora. If not, a little bit of flashlight could come in handy.
    Jay
    edited October 24, 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts, they worth more than a penny.
    Lots of great ideas. Makes me feel guilty for not spending better time with making the image.
    Unfortunately I was at my paid job and time is something I don't have alot of and the lights only lasted three minutes and I would never physically touch someone else's tractor.
    But with your advice I am armed to make the best of the next time I have three minutes and this situation to shoot:)

Cheers, Randy
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Well, you did great then considering the short amount of time you had. I didn't know that it wasn't your property, I was just looking at it in terms of 'what kind of fun can I have with this shot' and it's not always possible to muck with a scene any way you like.
    Jay
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Number 2 for me. thumb.gif

Wish I had more opportunities to shot auroras around where I am. Even when we have them, good shooting vantage points are hard to come by, here.

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I like #2 too :D

Send those northern lights down my way ... I would love to see them :D
    edited October 27, 2011
    Thanks, Jay, Don and Mary, and if I knew a way to send them your way I most certainly would:)