Going against my grain

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited October 22, 2005 in People
I'm not a fan of selective color and usually shy away from it at all costs. My general impression of it is gimmicky, but I have seen a few that add to the shot (rare). Now I'm going to throw this out for comments. I find that in the original, the guy gets lost. I think the shot is rather humorous and would like to salvage it. I'm on the fence here and before I spend any more time processing it, I'd like to get some feedback.

Here is the selective color version:
51044016.jpg

And the original version:
51044015.jpg
Canon EOS 20D ,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
1/1500s f/3.5 at 100.0mm iso200

Don't be shy as an honest critique is being asked for (whether it helps the subject or is gimmicky).

Thanks for your time,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    I like it however there are a couple more versions I would do and pick the best one. The shot is easy to salvage in my opinion. First the selective coloring method. It's good and I like it in that shot but. I'd also try desaturating the background to the point where there is some color tones but not much, then bump the saturation on him a bit. Also I would try Simply blurring the background out more. So many things could be done with this.

Either way I think the background is too sharp.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • booboo Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    hmm
    can't decide which i prefer but I LOVE that he has on one purple sock and one yellow! maybe you could do a version that just has his socks in color - hehe!
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    I like it however there are a couple more versions I would do and pick the best one. The shot is easy to salvage in my opinion. First the selective coloring method. It's good and I like it in that shot but. I'd also try desaturating the background to the point where there is some color tones but not much, then bump the saturation on him a bit. Also I would try Simply blurring the background out more. So many things could be done with this.

Either way I think the background is too sharp.
    Thanks Dragon for the additonal ideas. Sometimes looking at a picture too long is a bad thing. I'll give those ideas a try and repost when I get it done.

Thanks again for the ideas,
    Chris

• HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    boo wrote:
    can't decide which i prefer but I LOVE that he has on one purple sock and one yellow! maybe you could do a version that just has his socks in color - hehe!
    Hi Boo,
    Yes, he was quite a character. I think the term goofball is appropriate here. I almost didn't color his shoes and socks because I didn't realize the color mismatch. Lots of things to do with this poor chap.

Thanks for commenting,
    Chris