Serengeti Camp HDRs - 1st Try

kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
edited October 24, 2011 in Landscapes
Hey all, I'm looking for some feedback on these. They were done handheld, so they are probably not the sharpest shots you've ever seen...but I'm still learning about combining exposures in a tasteful fashion so I could use your guys' opinions.

i-3GjQDTb.jpg

i-qdmkpnD.jpg

i-vDNMkQj.jpg
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    I really like the second shot. I can't really comment on the tonal qualities of these since I'm at work and my monitors suck really bad... very flat.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 24, 2011
    Cool shots! They are a bit compressed due to the tone mapping. I tried applying a standard S curve and some local contrast enhancement to your first one and it really popped off the page. I can post the edited version if you like.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Agree with Joel. #1 and #3 have great contrast and drama in the sky but the foreground is somewhat flat. HDR tends to bring out great detail but it shows up everywhere so it makes the image look a little flat. Some quick contrast fixes can really make a picture pop.
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Cool shots! They are a bit compressed due to the tone mapping. I tried applying a standard S curve and some local contrast enhancement to your first one and it really popped off the page. I can post the edited version if you like.

Thanks for the comments... Yeah definitely post it in this thread if you got it. Thanks!
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Agree with Joel. #1 and #3 have great contrast and drama in the sky but the foreground is somewhat flat. HDR tends to bring out great detail but it shows up everywhere so it makes the image look a little flat. Some quick contrast fixes can really make a picture pop.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep this mind... I'll probably be taking a second swing at these when I get the time.
    edited October 24, 2011
    Ok, cool. Here's your original
    i-3GjQDTb.jpg

Here's my 30 second edit
    i-rtgZ7MS.jpg

Now watch everybody chime in and say they like your version better. :giggle
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Well, the original versions are very nice and represent some good work. I've got to say, though, that Richard's tweaking really did bring a little more " life " to the image. I'll give a " well done " to both of you.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited October 24, 2011
    I've got to say, though, that Richard's tweaking really did bring a little more " life " to the image. I'll give a " well done " to both of you.thumb.gif

Tom
    Hi Tom, if you think Richard did this, it must be REALLY good. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Yeah I definitely agree...short of losing too much detail in the clouds/trees by clipping the highs and lows, I think the original lacks a certain vibrance that kdog's S-curve gave it.

Now you got me spending time on this rolleyes1.gif I'll probably try duplicating the original BG layer, setting duplicate to Luminescence to avoid auto color shift, apply the curve/levels, then do some selective color work to add some further pop. Might work might not... your revision looks pretty good. clap.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Sorry, Joel. I was listening to the TV and heard the Jaguars fumble the ball ( Jones-Drew ) and I kind of lost my mind....forgot where I was and what I was doing. ne_nau.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.